Caribou Gear

Jackrabbit pics.....WARNING not pics for the weak

trophy_killer

Well today we went to visit my grandparents who live in Orland, California. They have a 20 acre olive orchard up there and always have a few jackrabbits in the orchard at any given time so I decided to take my shotgun today. I was out for a total of about 3 hours trying to get close enough for a shot, I kept getting about 100 yards away before they would take off, due to the open rows between the trees. Finally I got into about 40 yards and took a shot. I broke its back legs and I felt kinda bad because he tried to run off but couldn't do to the fact his back legs were broken, so I ran about 20 yards closer and finished him off. The pictures aren't the best because I was alone and I'm not really patient. Like I said, I was alone so I'm not in any of the pictures, but here they are...

rabbit.jpg

rabbitpicture.jpg

rabbitandshotgunfrom3_8_03.jpg

ihatewhenmypicturesturnoutshitty.jpg

I'm not sure what happend with that second picture, I think my finger might have got in front of the lens while I was taking a picture. Oh well, hope you enjoyed the pictures.

Thanks.
smile.gif

For those who were wondering I shot him with my Browning BPS 12 gauge, shooting high base 4 shot.
eek.gif

You can never have "too much gun".
biggrin.gif

how bout using slugs on-um!

glad ya had fun youngin!

The barrel is a 32". It came with the gun. The guy before me liked to shoot trap, and hunt quail so he liked having the longer barrel to get out there and touch the birds a little ways farther than the 28" barrel.
It was kind of hard getting used to, but I am used to it now.

Ah, TK Grasshopper...let's talk rabbits.
wink.gif
Next time you cripple one, save yourself a shell and a mess and pick the thing up and break its neck. They don't bite and the worse they'll do is kick you with their hind legs (which in this case wasn't an option anyway!). Back in my younger days I used to cringe at having to do that, but, as Dad once told me, "if you're man enough to cripple it, you're man enough to put it out of its misery."
eek.gif
Great pics!

Does anyone eat jackrabbit?
confused.gif

I've tried it not so bad if you stay away from the joints and bone. I've seen recipes for enchiladas, I'm trying that next.

Great pics Greg...
I see you at least was able to keep yourself entertained for the day...Way to go!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back