NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Jacket for Wy Pronghorn hunt

Tikka06

I am looking at picking up a new jacket for this years antelope hunt. I have been looking at the Kuiu Guide DCS, but a local shop has the Outdoor Research Foray gore-tex in coyote brown for the same price. I am basically looking for a good windbreaker as I have some quality rain gear already. If I go with the Kuiu, I would probably go with the brown also but am open to one of their camo patterns. We will be hunting the first week of Oct and from what Ive read, the weather can be warm or cold. Just trying to be prepared, what is everyone's thoughts on those two jackets?

The Kuiu guide jacket is an awesome piece. Not 100% wind proof but very solid especially with proper layering. It's a great all around jacket. Quiet, comfortable, and very durable while not being bulky or heavy. I would recommend it.

The local shop is having a great sale on the OR gear so Im thinking about getting a few more pieces to go with it, including replacing my OR gaiters. Would the coyote brown or a dark brown color blend in enough for early Oct out there? Ive read camo really isn't required for rifle hunting, but this being my first trip Im still learning.

I have several kuiu items including yukons which are AMAZING but during pronghorn hunts I usually just wear my carhartt jacket. I usually ain't miles from truck and if I need these crawl that ground is tough on clothes.

C

I wouldn't buy anything brown that has been discussed. I have a couple sets of Cabelas Open Country outfits that I have used for years and it is especially designed for your typical pronghorn country to blend in with the more light colors of the terrain. The shorts and pants are not insulated and unless it gets chilly for a morning hunt when I put on insulated underwear, I just wear shorts under the pants and a t shirt under the long sleeve top or one of several short sleeve open country shirts. I have one uninsulated light weight jacket of the same open country colors for the morning and evening times and it's big enough that I can put on a warm sleeveless vest under it if need be.

The unit you drew and the season will determine if Wally Mart is on your menu, or whatever. Don't over thunk it. I did last year. The Army/Navy store served all to well thanks to a few here on HT.

I'm a retired Marine...so take it for what that's worth.

Hunt hard 1st.....think later.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back