Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

I've arived in AK !!!

I must have taken a NAP after taking so long to pump water.... Because I haven't done much in awhile... Get Busy Elk GUNNER
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

"The filtering of water complete, the pangs of hunger soon began to capture the Oscars' attention. Just a few hours previously, one could order from a cafe menu, now, it was pre-planned dehydrated meals for the next 10 days of Moose hunting.

The stove was unpacked and the fuel bottle was drained into the tank on the stove. Unfortunately a funnel could not be found, so a steady hand was needed to pour the fuel into the stove.

After an extremely unsatisfying early meal, the younger Oscar faced a dillema. Should he sit tight and completely organize everything for camp and for tomorrow's hunting, or should he take advantage of the remaining daylight to see if he could locate a Moose. He had seen one that may have been of legal size on the far side of the valley, around the lake, as the Beaver had flown them into camp. Could there be one closer, and could he locate it on the first night, or would he just risk bumping it, and laying down his scent? Young Oscar nervously shifted his weight from foot to foot as he pondered his dillema."

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 09-02-2003 06:22: Message edited by: ElkGunner ]</font>

I've already decided to SET up CAMP 100% all the way before scouting... Unless I decide to Scout first... 56 hours.. I';m leaving... CRAP !! Getting close.... Write some more.. HOW big did that BULL LOOK ?!?! like maybe 50 inches ?!?! Forget about camp son... Go check out the Moose... is there one Closerr ? Who Cares.. do what it takes to get one Down !!

Uhhhhh BREATH bREATH !!!!! OK.. I'll be back in a bit to see what I did.. I need to go check my list..(AGAIN)

HAHA !! MY wife is Laughing at me because I am talknig to the screen telling you I have the Funnel PAcked and KNOW Exacly where it is... I do, I know How much I paid and I know what it Weighs... I know It's Yellow And I know the MAnufacturer.... DUDE, I have the FUGGIn Funnel !!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Looks like Oscar should have considered a small el-cheap-o raft to haul either the camp to where the moose may die, or to haul that potential meat back to camp. what might be a quarter mile row, could be a 2 mile pack.

"After a bit of pondering and some discussion, the Oscars agreed that setting camp would be the highest priority, and getting a good night's sleep would be important. As they could not hunt on the first evening, there did not seem to be any advantage to scouting. Any moose in the area around their lake would still be there in the morning.

As the last bit of daylight began to fade, the younger Oscar unrolled his sleeping pad, and pulled his sleeping bag out of the stuff sack. Much to his suprise, as he pulled his down sleeping bag out of the stuff sack, he discovered the bag was damp. Somewhere, somehow, the moisture had found his sleeping bag. Now he had something other than the Moose on the far side of the lake to worry about."

The BAG is in a Bivi sack.... The bag will be in a Brannew Float bag... Foded and Checked twice.... NO water will get in...

(Note to self.. check bag before putting it on the float plane
biggrin.gif
)

"Sleep would not come easy to Oscar this first night, but it never does the night before hunting. Oscar knew if he ever lost that excitement and anticipation for hunting, then it was time to hang up the camo for good.

But now was not the time to consider the end of a hunting career, but to contemplate the transitions of life, and relish in the opportunity to hunt with his father. Just as the crimson sunset of a few minutes earlier, each stage of life fades to the next. In a few short years, the even Younger Oscar, and Zachary, and Patrick would be joining the hunt, and new adventures would be found.

Both Oscars crawled into their sleeping bags, with the elder Oscar content with his dry sleeping bag. Young Oscar discovered the chill from the damp sleeping bag, and eventually tried his bivvy sack inside the bag. This seemed to lessen the chill, and the young Oscar stared at the peak of the tent, listening to the steady pace of his dad's breathing.

Sleep was not easy in coming, but eventually the young Oscar faded out, with visions of the Moose seen from the airplane. He had asked his dad to wake them 2 hours before light, and it was nearly that time when young Oscar began to sleep."

HAHA !! If I get 2 hours of Sleep I'd be happy
wink.gif

WELL... GOING to print out the story for DAD tomorrow mid day. I'll cut and PAste and take all my silly mid comments out though
tongue.gif

You know I've been following this and elkgunner is a hell of a writer. He is so on the spot about a first time hunter up here its almost scary.

Me ""thinkith"" that this chit happened to him.. or at least 90% of it did, And he's posting it in a Story so it doesn't happen to me...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I ain't tipping him or nothing.. BUT I will have to thank him someday... Jsut not today
wink.gif

"The last remnants of the storm passed during the night, revealing a blanket of stars outside the tent. The cold of the Alaskan north soon crept around the tent, and the small amounts of rain left in the four titanium cups, scattered outside of the tent, formed small amounts of ice.

As happens always, the need for sleep had finally defeated young Oscar's anticipation, and he had drifted far from consciousness. Outside in Alaska, the sun was preparing for a new day of circling the lake while staying low to the horizon to the south.

Young Oscar felt the gentle push to the shoulder, in a first attempt to awaken him from his slumber, but a gentle shove was not enough. A second, more firm, shove was required to wake him up, as his wife told him he needed to get up and get ready for the drive to the airport in Boise, while reminding him that in six short hours, he would be able to announce to the world, and more importantly to himself, "I've arrived in AK !!!".

Moosie,

Good luck buddy, and most importantly, be safe and have fun. I am so jealous of you getting to go North this year.

If you need anything today, give a call, and hopefully you have the Film packed. Take lots of pictures for you and your dad.

This is the only First Trip to Alaska you will ever have, so make sure you remember it, as from now on, Alaska will have bitten you, and life will be spent thinking about your NEXT trip to AK.

Shoot straight, and shoot often,
da' Gunner
wink.gif

Moosie, you will be leaving for the north soon. I wish you and your dad the very best. To be going on a hunt to Alaska is surely a dream, but to be able to go on an Alaskan hunt with your father is even more desireable. I am very jealous of you but also very happy for you. I amlooking forward to your return with the stories and the pictures.

I agree w/ Cameron Hunt...nice way to tie it all together EG!

Back