It's time to admit it's over

Dougfirtree

When our regular seasons ended this year, I was able to stave off the post-hunting season blues knowing that I might get to take advantage of the new Christmas to New Years muzzleloader season in the southern tier. And I did. I woke up really early to drive south, hunted my butt off yesterday and had a great time, but no deer accompanied me on the ride home. Skunked.

It was a season of many, many close calls. I spent the majority of my hunting time helping my two sons try to fill their tags and my oldest did shoot his first deer. From there, something would always mess up our opportunities. But, it was fun, I'm proud of my middle son for trying so hard from October through December and we saw some cool stuff.

As a way of processing my grief at the end of another season, please enjoy this photo retrospective/digital new years card from me:

There were many different variations on this view:

IMG_5015.jpg
IMG_5159.jpgIMG_5173.jpg

I did get a couple of opportunities to track bucks (which is my happy place):

IMG_5160.jpgIMG_5240.JPG

I found some very memorable rubs; including four new signpost rubs:

IMG_5164.jpg
IMG_5181.jpg
IMG_5127.jpg

I found what has to be the biggest black cherry tree in the universe (note my rifle for scale):

IMG_5162.jpg

And I had many moments of beauty wandering in the woods

IMG_5205.jpg

Can't wait to do it over next year. The dogs will be happy to get out more for birds. Hope you've all had a fun season.

Great post. I really enjoy seeing the different types of country people hunt in, and those thick woods in your photos look like they have some magic in them. The end of hunting for the year can be rough, but is also the start of next year’s plans…

I pulled my two tree stands out of the woods before December rolled in. I feel kind of cheated. Being successful early has drawbacks. It gets more peaceful when most of the hunters are at home watching football or staying warm. I enjoy the late season with snow on the ground. I'm glad you enjoyed your season. Filling a tag is only part of the joy. Those boys will reflect on this season and hopefully one day share similar experiences with their offspring.

Today was the last day of our antlerless season and it ended with two tags unfilled. We have a primitive weapon season coming up in mid-January so I will have to brush the dust off the old T/C Renegade.

View attachment 207326
Last day of the season here as well, wandered around all day, saw a handful of deer but watching them seemed more fun than a drag.
I've had days like that too. On Thursday, I would have happily dragged a doe a mile+. I had one great shot opportunity, but the deer was standing about 20 feet on the other side of a private property boundary. Just chillin'. Broadside. Like they do. 😅

When our regular seasons ended this year, I was able to stave off the post-hunting season blues knowing that I might get to take advantage of the new Christmas to New Years muzzleloader season in the southern tier. And I did. I woke up really early to drive south, hunted my butt off yesterday and had a great time, but no deer accompanied me on the ride home. Skunked.

It was a season of many, many close calls. I spent the majority of my hunting time helping my two sons try to fill their tags and my oldest did shoot his first deer. From there, something would always mess up our opportunities. But, it was fun, I'm proud of my middle son for trying so hard from October through December and we saw some cool stuff.

As a way of processing my grief at the end of another season, please enjoy this photo retrospective/digital new years card from me:

There were many different variations on this view:

View attachment 207286
View attachment 207287View attachment 207288

I did get a couple of opportunities to track bucks (which is my happy place):

View attachment 207290View attachment 207291

I found some very memorable rubs; including four new signpost rubs:

View attachment 207292
View attachment 207293
View attachment 207294

I found what has to be the biggest black cherry tree in the universe (note my rifle for scale):

View attachment 207295

And I had many moments of beauty wandering in the woods

View attachment 207297

Can't wait to do it over next year. The dogs will be happy to get out more for birds. Hope you've all had a fun season.

Attachments

• 20211102_130251.jpg
    20211102_130251.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
To me it’s looks as though you had a great season , thanks for sharing that ! There is nothing that matches hunting with you children !

Sounds like last year for me. Our then 10 year old daughter took her first deer a couple hours after I dropped a doe during Missouri's anterless season back in 2019. 2020 we were back to do some doe damage again and our then 13 year old daughter was on the rifle and we just couldn't get it to happen after numerous " safety off.... Dad she won't stop moving" events. We came home in 2020 empty handed for the first time since I can remember.

This year we couldn't go due to their swim schedules and meets but I took advantage of being able to hunt out the back door and have three deer in the freezer with my bow with still a few weeks left of season.

I sure did miss making the drive with them this year. Those memories will last in my brain forever and more than makes up for not notching a tag.

Keep doing what your doing. They will appreciate it for sure. Believe me.

Come on down to NW Virginia. You can kill does until March 27, on private. Get ya two or three with one shot (including fetuses).
I’m over deer hunting…time to get ready for spring Gobblers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back