PEAX Equipment

It's starting to come together.

Spedray

I have been elk hunting for 20 years, have killed some bulls, but finally feel like I know what I am doing. I have been hunting this bull since the second week of September but was now able to get it done during rifle season.

IMG_0653.jpg

I saw some amazing scenery along the way and love to spend September and October in the mountains chasing bugling bulls.

IMG_0903.jpg

IMG_0901.jpg

IMG_0731.jpg

With the opening of rifle season we made the mad hike of 2 miles straight up the valley floor to the top of the mountain. We made it half an hour before shooting time to the saddle where we had been chasing elk all fall to the sound of them bugling. As the sun rose we where surrounded by elk but that same sun we shineing right in our eyes, and we couldn't pick out the herd bull, much less see threw our scopes. The bad thing about a bugling bull during rifle season, is that it draws a crowd. People that started hiking at first light where staring to show up at the saddle now. The elk caught wind of another group hiking below them and took off away from them but sidehill too us. I ran to another opening as they made there way to the dark bedding timber. As I caught up to the herd the bull was herding all the cows and I aligned my scope and fired at a reasonable 150 yards. He dropped in his tracks, leaving me with the best birthday a man can have.

IMG_0888.jpg

I was lucky enough to have three great guys to help me pack out my biggest bull to date. The nice thing about hunting straight up the mountain is that when you do shot something it's an easy hike straight back down. With all the knowledge I learned this year I kind of feel like I am starting to get a hang of things and can't wait for it all to start again next year!

Nice bull! He has some dark horns, had he been rubbing on burnt trees or was that from the pine sap?

Congrats!!!! Nothing better than a birthday bull !! Next year I’ll be chasing Roosevelt’s out here in Oregon on my 1st archery hunt, my birthday is the 1st week in September same week I’m hunting, I’ll be hoping for the same outcome . Thanks for posting, love the pics

Beautiful country to hunt elk in! Congrats on your birthday bull, what an awesome birthday!

Very envious. Congrats on a great animal and on the fact that it's "starting to come together" for you.

As someone who it is NOT coming together for, that makes me feel better seeing as it took you 20 years to get to this point. I'm only in year 4, still have yet to down my first elk, but am 100% invested. This year was the first year I truly put in the work and it almost paid off. I'm getting ready to post about my bull encounter, but it is still haunting me too much to even force myself to sit down and write the post.

Anyway, congrats again and I'm looking forward to the day when I feel as you do!

Very envious. Congrats on a great animal and on the fact that it's "starting to come together" for you.

As someone who it is NOT coming together for, that makes me feel better seeing as it took you 20 years to get to this point. I'm only in year 4, still have yet to down my first elk, but am 100% invested. This year was the first year I truly put in the work and it almost paid off. I'm getting ready to post about my bull encounter, but it is still haunting me too much to even force myself to sit down and write the post.

Anyway, congrats again and I'm looking forward to the day when I feel as you do!

Stick with it and it will all come together. I have killed plenty of elk before but a lot of it was pure luck. I got to hunt this bull for six weekends off and on during bow season and saw him most days. I learned a lot by watching the elk and some days not trying to get on them because the wind wasn't in my favor and just view them from afar.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back