Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

It's not huntin', but sure beats workin'!

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Now that summer finally arrived, it was time to do a little more fishing. I had 22 straight days of rain or snow from mid-May into June, so fishing got postponed a lot.

I would rather be hunting or scouting, but family requires we fish at least three days a week in the summer. Wife won't allow pics to be taken, so all you get is me and Matthew.

The first pic is just before take off of the two-day walleye tournament. High hopes for the #13 boat. We had been slamming some nice walleyes before the tournament. Matthew drives the boat during tournaments, as take off is almost like a racing video game, and like all teenagers, he is a video game extraordinaire. He knows one speed, and he finds that speed within the first twenty seconds. Obviously, the old man is paying the fuel bill, so what does he care. FYI, a 225hp 4-stroke burns about 10 gallons per minute at WOT and 5500 RPMs, or at least it seems that way.

View attachment 6386

The first fish of the tourament. Wrong species. Too bad we can't weigh these spotted carp. We caught a lot of them in those two days.

View attachment 6387

The afternoon before the tournament was going good. Caught a lot of these bigger walleyes and released them all, thinking the good karma would come our way the next two days, when it really counted. NOT!

View attachment 6388

Fishing up in the muddy river, after all our reservoir tactics failed. We were looking for lunkers, or nothing.

Our tournament strategy is what we call the Babe Ruth Plan - He hit 714 home runs, but he struck out over 3,000 times.

This weekend, we added a couple more to the strike out column. Damn. Still a lot of fun.

View attachment 6389

We have too much antelope scouting to do this summer, so we have bowed out of the tourneys up near NEMont and MTMiller. Given how poorly we did at this tourney, it is hard to justify $400 of gas and a $500 entry fee.

Yet for antelope scouting, I could rationalize $1400 of gas and lots of money for tags. :p

Happy fishing, or whatever else you do to pass the hot days of summer!

Attachments

• IMG_2524.JPG
    IMG_2524.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_2517-1.JPG
    IMG_2517-1.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_2520.JPG
    IMG_2520.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_2511-1.JPG
    IMG_2511-1.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 233
Matthew drives the boat during tournaments, as take off is almost like a racing video game, and like all teenagers, he is a video game extraordinaire. He knows one speed, and he finds that speed within the first twenty seconds.

LMAO......looks to be a good kid, he'd probably circle back and get you if you fell out the boat.

good luck on the goats.

Man!! I haven't seen boats stacked together like that since we fished the Kenai last summer. Didn't know you Montana boys were that serious about walleyes.;) Looks like a great time regardless of the outcome. Thanks for the pics.

looks like the tards we have here on Winnebago:D But in better looking country.

Still not hunting, but we put a serious whoopin' on the walleyes this weekend. Drove up and watched 40mph winds blow on Friday. No fishing that day.

Saturday, it calmed down to 25-30mph, so we gave it a try. The fish paid dearly. The fish in this picture are blowing sideways in the wind. Yeah, they are not huge, but it takes a strong wind to blow 16" fish to that angle. Not sure how Miller and NEMont stand upright after living in that wind.

View attachment 6411

Today was grand. Very slight breeze. Got on the water by 6:30am and by 11:00am, we had boated 40 walleyes and sorted to find the best 10 for eating. Kept the 16"-19" dudes.

View attachment 6412

I have no secrets about what I fish with. It has been a couple years since I have even put live bait in my boat.

View attachment 6413

Damn fun. Might have to try it again next week.

Gas bill - $250
Motel - $160
Freezer full of Walleye filets - Priceless (and real damn expensive)

Attachments

• IMG_2530.JPG
    IMG_2530.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_2546.JPG
    IMG_2546.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_2549.JPG
    IMG_2549.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 141
Nice "work"! I'd take fishing up again, except I can't find the time.

Looks like a great time. I love fishing tournaments, I only fish saltwater tourneys tho.
What kind of payout does a $500 entry fee get you?

How big a boat is that 225Yamy pushng. I have a 23ft cc and its powered with a 150 yamaha 4 stroke, and thats fast enuff for me.

Whiskers:

With the $500 fee, first place pays $10,000.

The 225 4-stroke is on my wife's (really, I bought it for her anniversary present) Lund 20" Pro-V. WOT has a high "pucker factor" when there is a lot of chop on the water.

Not sure how Miller and NEMont stand upright after living in that wind.
It's called being vertically challenged.:D

That last picture looks like a good place to find a submerged island and fish....at least it works when the water is hard.;):D

Nice work Big, I ate the only bag of fillets I brought home from LOW Saturday eve.
Sure wish we had water closer to home to work some eyes over........
Can you use live bait (leeches or minnows) other than crawlers in MT?
WD

Big Fin,

Me and my son were out fishing on Sunday but we are not tournament fisherman and we were fishing on the big lake. We stayed home on both Friday and Saturday. Just not much fun to get beat to death IMO.

As for staying upright, let just say it would take a hurricane force gale to make me topple over, I am not so much vertically challenge as I am short for my weight.

Nemont

Back