Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

It Happens

How come as I stand and cut and wrap this beautiful beast my back is killing me, but when I packed gunnery pound loads to the boat there wasn't a bit of pain...
Ugh

Anyhow, the back strap fried in butter with a little garlic salt is DIVINE!

So three days of glossing and hiking... And no Rams that held my attention. This brought me to Monday night. As the sun sat, I caught a herd of sheep moving up a ridge about three miles up river. My spotting scope couldn't get quite close or light or clear enough today ell me what they were, but I didn't see much difference in body sizes, so maybe it wasn't lambs and ewes? I decided, judging how things had been near camp, I better just hop in the boat first thing in the morn and go see what they were. There had been 5 Rams up there a day or so ago, so one way or another maybe I'd see some Rams.

I am not a die hard bow hunter either... So the Mathews went in its case and the 06' came out...(technically, it did stay in the case for quite a while longer).

So, I was in the boat waiting for it to get just light enough to get up the river without running on a bar or something. I was wondering how early is hear the first gun shot. How many boats would race by during the day? Was there going to be races to Rams and such? Was team Sitka and the auction tag holder team gonna be in the area. So far is seen no one... And that was the way I liked it. In 3 1/2 days I saw two canoes...

Anyhow, I finally was comfortable with the light so I fired up the Yamaha and pointed the G3 up the canyon.

When I got to the spot where the sheep had gone up the ridge there was a boat tied to the bank, and it was empty. Up about 300 yards there was an empty boat sitting on a bar with a couple tents!! Well, if there were Rams on the ridge, they had plenty to keep them busy already. I turned the boat around and ran down a half mile and pulled up on the north bank, giving me a great view of several miles of great country on the south side. I immediately identified the group of sheep on the ridge above the camp as ewes... I also saw four guys marching up the ridge.

After glassing everything I could see for half an hour I moved down another half mile... Glassing for half an hour. This pattern repeated for another two hours, or about four miles. NOTHING.

Well, I had enough of that. I tried to be optimistic that the Rams were there, but dang... I had 50 miles of river I could look over... Wasn't about to stick myself with the same 4 miles or so that I'd worked for nearly 4 days with nothing worth going after...

I'd go pack up camp and work up river until I found something that looked promising!

The ridge 2 1/2 miles up where the sheep were Monday night.

This is the foldy, breaks country off the river. Each of those little "folds" are actually chasms, damn near crevasses like!

I stood on one ridge and looked across to the same level and top of the next ridge... I thought, "300 yards"... Grabbed the range finder and it was 186! What? I ranged the bottom of the chasm and it was 167 yards! Steep.

Anyhow, I was convinced there were sheep in this stuff... And crawled all over it trying to find their nook... Never did!

So, back to camp. This is bull crap, I'll pack up and cruise up river, glass for 29 miles if I have to. Camp wherever I am come dark.

Got everything wrapped up and stowed in the boat. Ok, let's go look around camp and up on the knob where the spotting scope had sat for a few days along with a couple chairs. Maybe I'd dropped something or left something up there... Nope. All clear.

Well, I'd glassed my eyes out for four days and figured there was no reason to stop now. The nice big canyon that ran SE out of camp deserved one last look. And that's when "It Happens". Are you kidding me, there are four Rams up there and at 1200 yards, through my bi is, it's clear they are worth getting a better look. I tuck and roll off the bank and find my scope and tripod, shimmy back up and get her set up. At 40X I see the first ram and let an expletive drift off my lips... Then the second ram comes into view... Sh!+. That's no slouch... Then I found the third ram. The language commonly excused as French was only heard by me.

Be back shortly. I have one rear quarter left to cut and wrap and there's no time like the present.

Ok, so 3 of the four Rams looked good to me and one seemed bigger than the others. I didn't see the fourth Rams head, but I didn't need to, at least no immediately. I slipped off the bank again and grabbed my rifle and my pack. The Rams were about 1200 yards up the draw... The bottom 300-400 would be a piece of cake, as there was an incised stream channel that could completely conceal me. It started to sprinkle the minute I left the boat. Frick... Those of you that don't know... After about 1/8 inch of rain, most of the Missouri Breaks becomes damn near impassable, whether in a vehicle or on foot.

I wasn't going to let the threat of gumbo stop me, but I did acknowledge to myself that this could be a terribly tough experience if the rain picked up and continued!

Well, I got up the draw about 400 yards and I could still see the Rams when the down ur channel ended in the bottom of the draw. So I backed off about 50 yards where there was a fold on the west side of the draw I could use for cover.

I climbed the steep slope, staying behind the shoulder of the ridge about 400 yards ahead. I should easily be able to reach that shoulder and be looking at the Rams at about 250-300 yards.

When I finally crested the shoulder my boots were staring to get fat with mud stuck to them and the rain was falling steady... Not sprinkling. It crossed my mind that's e close encounter may just be that, part of a much longer story as the hunt would likely go on long after this day. Just a little more moisture and it would get miserable... I've got to see them soon.

There were all sorts of cuts, draws and folds in almost all directions around me. There was also a patch of pretty thick pines and junipers... I wondered if they took shelter in there. I kept thinking, at any second I'm gonna see them bolting off... And I've been told over and over, Never judge a ram from behind and especialky not when they are running!!

Well, I moved ahead and peaked over the next fold... Nothing. I scanned the slopes in all directions expecting to see four white butts heading up and over some ridge or disappearing through some gap. I didn't see them.

The rain lets up and though my boot soles carry an extra inch, I am really thankful it was just a quick shower. I'm determined to at least get a look at these Rams and realize I'll probably end up unpacked no the boat and setting the tent up again!

I carefully sneak another 10 yards ahead to the next little "shoulder". As careful as I can, my goal to see them before they see me, I inch over the shoulder to see if they are in view...

"They" weren't in sight... But he was. I could see his buddies big white butt just to the right, but he later there facing head on... Staring straight into my eyes.

I flipped the safety off and slowly started to shoulder my rifle... Then I said to myself "dumb ass, put the safety on... And chill. You have 2 1/2 more months to hunt one of the best places to hunt Rams in the world! Chill!" So I chilled a bit. I stared at him and waited and expected him to just explode out of there. I looked at his horns and tried to judge them. He was closer than I'd seen one in maybe 10 years... He looked good. I am going to guess that we stared at eachother for a solid minute plus a few more seconds. I knew there were three more Rams. I knew one seemed bigger when looking at them from 1200 yards...

He turned his head about 1/8 turn and I got a glimpse of his length. I thought... He's big. He's massive and he's long.

I was planning to add a photo or two, but my photobucket app is glitchen... Hopefully soon!

Anyhow, I thought "seriously, you haven't seen enough Rams! Don't get in a hurry!"

He stood up, facing me head on... Then he turned his head to the left... Then looked back at me. I was looking through my scope when he turned. I looked at the gap between his horns on his forehead, or lack of gap... I flipped my safety off and immediately sent a 168 grain TSX into his chest and it exited out his hip. He wheeled back and turned broadside and I gave him another in the boiler, although unnecessary. He stumbled and fell.

I then turned my attention to his three compadres... They bolted about 30 yards, then started milling around on the slope above me. Three distinctly different Rams, one old but much smaller than the fallen. He had horns that looked like they were made of chocolate... and at least ten rings. Another that was thin but with long, perfect lamb tips... And another with one long lamb tip and one broomed side.

Here's a couple.

This guy was pretty... I don't have a good pic of the old one, I'll have to crop one to give you guys a decent idea of what he looked like.

Then it was time to go see him. I'd glassed over at him a few times while wTching the three survivors and I knew I was happy with his size. I was also happy with the experience.

The smile came really easy. I was seconds away from jetting up the river... Being fairly optimistic, I have a hard time putting my glasses down... It rarely pays off, the time spent behind them, but this time it sure did!!

I skinned him out whole, boned out the meat and stuffed my MR Crew Cab full. Even with 110#, the smiles came EASY! I Love hunting solo and especially the the sense of accomplishment after I get my critter packed to the truck...

Just about jogged back up where I left him and my gun...

Got him all packed in and headed down the hill.

Only one person I really wished was along. Between work and recovery from an ACL replacement, it just could happen...

She'll drAw it soon and we'll hunt sheep together!

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back