Isolation

Simple "No" for me.

I like the idea, who doesn't. And if it was in a climate I was very used to, maybe for a while (like a couple of years). But honestly for as much as I really hate people I do like many individuals.

The longest I've gone was only 5 or 6 days alone, with no one to talk to. I didn't talk for four of them, then started talking to myself a little. Total pansy, I know.

I don't know if I could do that or not. My wife would not want to, so that makes the decision for me. But lets just say she bumps her head and thus changes her mind. 10 years ago I would have said no. Now? It would take some serious introspection and planning and we would have to wait until the kids are out of the nest and off the payroll. In the end, I don't think I could do it for the rest of my life mainly because the geography I like best isn't that remote. But I would certainly enjoy trying it for an extended period of time.

Panda Bear, good for you! Knowing that someone is living like that gives those of us who cannot but yet have somewhat of an interest in it something to think about. I would love to hear more about it as you have time...please share!

That takes alot of grit, and I admire you for it.

When I was younger I used to think I could. Now that I am older and have grown children, I don't think that I could. I've found that there are more things to life than leaving everything behind and wandering the woods, but that's just me, IMO.

I did it for a summer guiding while in college in 1993, but i had new clients every week....So I had people to socialize with.

I live 10 miles from town, and my SO grew up in the suburbs. She definitely had to adjust to planning her shopping and meals...

No way....I'm grumpy after not seeing my grandkids for a couple of days and my work is dealing with people every day all day.

Short answer is no. I love sessions of solitude to reconnect and get away from "people", but I also like "people" and what I gain/learn from them, especially my family and friends.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back