ISO bowhunting mentor

Sitkahoyt95

I would seriously appreciate it if someone would mentor me. I have no idea what I’m doing and feeling as though I’m aimlessly walking around. If anyone would be willing to mentor me and essentially teach me I’d greatly appreciate it.

Where are you located? There might me a First Hunt Foundation mentor in your area.

Yikes. With a name like Sitka Hoyt? You gotta fake it til you make it… Can SitkaHoyt afford a guide?

How many years have you been bow hunting? It takes a while, are you seeing elk? Hearing elk? Calling? Sitting water?

Give us more info to work with bud.
Going on year 3 I’ve hunted javelina for the first time this year blew one stalk didn’t see any other animals, hunted deer twice now first time didn’t see anything second time didn’t see a buck, turkey 3 times now. Got closer this year but no dice. I would like someone I could ask specific questions as to where exactly I’m hunting where I experienced if I’m in a good spot or not. I’ve actually called in a 4x4 bull for a buddy this past October. That was my first elk hunt I have my own hunt this September in a unit I’ve been to before. Found rubs and tons of sign but I was hunting deer at the time.

Going on year 3 I’ve hunted javelina for the first time this year blew one stalk didn’t see any other animals, hunted deer twice now first time didn’t see anything second time didn’t see a buck, turkey 3 times now. Got closer this year but no dice. I would like someone I could ask specific questions as to where exactly I’m hunting where I experienced if I’m in a good spot or not. I’ve actually called in a 4x4 bull for a buddy this past October. That was my first elk hunt I have my own hunt this September in a unit I’ve been to before. Found rubs and tons of sign but I was hunting deer at the time.
If there is sign, there’s been animals. If there is already new growth on the tree, or perhaps it’s now completely dead, then it’s probably an old rub, whereas if the barely dangling branches or bark or needles/leaves are still relatively green, or there still velvet or blood depending on time of year- it could be a fresher rub. Use the height of the scrape and many times even find hair left in the rub to determine deer or elk and potential size. Try to keep in mind that even knowing thermals and prevailing winds, it can be very difficult to judge just how it will swirl when you drop off the edge of a hillside, or crest it. It is a constant mental grind that you ARE learning from every time you go out. Believe that. Watch Randy’s videos on preseason, pre rut peak rut post rut and late season and apply that to every species. Turkeys are hard with a bow dude this is year 3 I’ve hit plenty of birds with what I thought were good shots and I have no bird to show. I’ve still never gotten an elk with my bow after 3 years so im still learning too! Just keep after it, analyze and interpret. If there’s no tracks no poop there’s no point.. hope some of this helps. Good luck.

Another thing, idk how you’re hunting if you’re picking a spot and sitting all day, or running and ‘gunning’ but I will say I’ve found that if I’m calling, sit wayyyy longer than I want lol if i threw out any calling sequence especially if you get a gobble or a bugle or a wheeze, but they ain’t coming, just stay put til your ready to say hell with it all. Lol 9/10 when you finally stand up they are right there.. don’t do like me and stand up angrily ready for lunch, cuz they jet. Ha even if I’m not calling, just walking and glassing, I try to keep this mindset like ‘don’t leave until you find SOMETHING’. Many times you’ll find something, even if it’s far off, you’re more content in knowing if i saw that way over there; surely I would have seen what is right here. It don’t always work that way, but you’ll see more. I find more animals and sit longer when I have a buddy. Which ain’t often, I have an abrasive personality. Take a friend? Sorry for the long posts. Hope someone else can add to this

Another thing, idk how you’re hunting if you’re picking a spot and sitting all day, or running and ‘gunning’ but I will say I’ve found that if I’m calling, sit wayyyy longer than I want lol if i threw out any calling sequence especially if you get a gobble or a bugle or a wheeze, but they ain’t coming, just stay put til your ready to say hell with it all. Lol 9/10 when you finally stand up they are right there.. don’t do like me and stand up angrily ready for lunch, cuz they jet. Ha even if I’m not calling, just walking and glassing, I try to keep this mindset like ‘don’t leave until you find SOMETHING’. Many times you’ll find something, even if it’s far off, you’re more content in knowing if i saw that way over there; surely I would have seen what is right here. It don’t always work that way, but you’ll see more. I find more animals and sit longer when I have a buddy. Which ain’t often, I have an abrasive personality. Take a friend? Sorry for the long posts. Hope someone else can add to this
No I appreciate the post’s. My buddies I’ve gone with dont have the same hunt style haha I do enjoy going by myself more although I never know what I’m doing I have the freedom to go wherever whenever. Just end up taking my bow on a long hike haha I’m not good at sitting which I need to get better on

Back