Is the upgrade to tool steel broadhead worth it?

MThuntr

I'm currently looking to make a few changes for next year which includes possibly a new bow and definitely a stiffer arrow and possibly new broadheads in the mix as well. I've been using Magnus Stingers for a couple years but have only shot them at deer but carry them for elk. Am considering a tool steel broadhead but dang $40 each vs $45/3 is a bit much. NOTE: Magnus has full lifetime replacement components.

Is the upgrade from stainless steel broadhead to a tool steel broadhead really worth the 3-4X bump in cost?

I use Valkyrie Blood Eagle broadheads. They went up in price this psst year 99.00 for 3. Are they worth it? Yes because unless you lose one they will last forever. Most indestructible head I have found. They will sharpen them for free and warranty for life. They stay sharp even after shooting an animal. They fly same as field points and I have always had a complete pass through even when shooting through both shoulders. They sell a sharpening kit if you don't want to send them in. The kit mounts to a bench grinder and is pretty idiot proof.

Better? Maybe, but at what cost and how much better?
I think the Stingers would be my Mangus Broadhead preference, but here is a successful Elk hunt with Buzzcuts. Mangus warranties their broadheads for life, too. While I understand the appeal of steel and single-bevel, I'm not ready to change.

Archery Bull Elk Kill 67 yards with the Magnus Buzzcut
The arrow slams into the opposite shoulder and the bull only goes 40 yards! This hunt is in the Black Hills of South Dakota. This is the first Elk Hunt Matt has ever been on!

Magnus Buzzcut
That was a nice shot but I'm not a fan of the serrated blades...they seem like they tear versus slice which to me feels like a a risk to penetration. The Magnus lifetime replacement part has its redeeming qualities. I have 3 heads that need to go to them to get replaced and 1 was definitely messed up by hitting bone which resulted in an arrow stuck without full penetration.

The question comes to play would using a higher quality steel prevented the need to send a head in after hitting bone and would the arrow have gone through after hitting bone? Is that worth the extra cost? I struggle with the decision.

The only thing you gain from tool steel is impact resistance (magnus's have weak aluminum ferrules), a bit higher max sharpness potential (they can hold a more refined edge) and time between sharpening sessions. Is that worth it? Up to you.

I had a quiver full of Iron Will Wides last year, and they got swapped out for Magnus stingers on a coastal hunt after one day, because they were spot rusting from the humidity. The buck I killed didn't know any different when I shot him with a magnus. But I do still wonder if the sharper broadhead would have made it a full pass through instead of just two holes and an arrow in the rib cage(stickbow, fwiw).

I shoot Solids they are $100 for 3 also
most of the time my arrows are stuck in the ground after taking an animal and a quick touch up on a stone and they are ready for business
Went to a higher end head due to most of the others after hitting dirt n rocks they get messed up n need to be replaced
But part of me always says if it aint broke WELL ! if what your shooting is working well why change

I say buy three of whatever tickles your fancy and try them out. I shoot 4 different broadheads right now and don’t mind carrying a mix in my quiver. I was anti expensive broadheads a few years ago but not so much anymore. Guys are literally walking around with thousands of dollars worth of gear and will skimp on the killing end of the arrow. Are $30-40 heads a necessity? Definitely not. If you have the funds, why not give them a go?

The only thing you gain from tool steel is impact resistance (magnus's have weak aluminum ferrules), a bit higher max sharpness potential (they can hold a more refined edge) and time between sharpening sessions. Is that worth it? Up to you.

I had a quiver full of Iron Will Wides last year, and they got swapped out for Magnus stingers on a coastal hunt after one day, because they were spot rusting from the humidity. The buck I killed didn't know any different when I shot him with a magnus. But I do still wonder if the sharper broadhead would have made it a full pass through instead of just two holes and an arrow in the rib cage(stickbow, fwiw).
The rust issue is why I went with, and keep coming back to, DaySix EvoX.

Same hardness, same edge retention - but stainless steel.

spot rusting from the humidity
I've heard this can be an issue. Someone said they hit them with a touch of BreakFree CLP to prevent rust but yes definitely a concern.

But part of me always says if it aint broke WELL ! if what your shooting is working well why change
You're right about that. Currently I'm underspined if I want to bump my arrow weight up (either by heavier broadhead or a heavy insert) and it shows with my 125s when being recorded but I got the bow to tune. Thinking of experimenting with new broadheads with new arrows...also considering a new bow though the funds aren't available currently.

The rust issue is why I went with, and keep coming back to, DaySix EvoX.

Same hardness, same edge retention - but stainless steel.
I've looked at these too. Not sure I'm excited by the giant bleeders but like the idea of a stronger stainless

I can tell you one thing after pulling bow strings for almost 50 years; the new expensive broadheads will NOT kill an animal ‘deader’ than the one you’re using! I’d stick with your Magnus heads…..maybe use the Black Hornets 🐝 instead if you want something that tunes easier and tad bit thicker blade. Just my .02

But brittle…

Not sure a guy would ever break me on an animal though
absolutely, but I've also had a broadhead go through a deer, off a rock, and head 50' the other way - cleaned it up a bit, touched up the edge and stuck it in a cow 2 weeks later.

Point could be made that shooting it into a cinder brick it is more brittle, but I'm not sure it matters with hair, bone, meat, and inside bits/goo.

absolutely, but I've also had a broadhead go through a deer, off a rock, and head 50' the other way - cleaned it up a bit, touched up the edge and stuck it in a cow 2 weeks later.

Point could be made that shooting it into a cinder brick it is more brittle, but I'm not sure it matters with hair, bone, meat, and inside bits/goo.

I agree. I’m not worried about it to a point that I wouldn’t buy them but it is a possibility. I haven’t broken a day six yet but I have had several abowyers come apart. Would a carbon steel head of the same design have held together? I have no idea

I don't think its worth the upgrade and its not a budget issue. The stainless steel is care-free in my mind and I dislike worrying about broadhead rust. That said, the rust is merely an annoyance and gets in my head. Its not going to hurt the broadhead's integrity. It'll just be rusted in the mountains of wherever when archaeologists find it in 20000 years.

My tuff heads seem to find their way into the dirt alot but it never takes much to get them back to shaving sharp. I could shoot one a dozen times into my foam target and probably hunt with it without touching up the edge, not that i would, but you get the point. I think it's worth the cost

I look at it like this, it's the only thing doing the killing in that system. I shoot the iron will heads, they're pricey, but if you were to add up all the other crap people spend money on in the hunting world I can find 119$ in anyone's budget for a good set of heads. Guys who smoke or dip or even drink a Starbucks 20 days a month have the funds. Nothing wrong with the Magnus heads, I would just like to know that I gave my self the best odds I could afford.

I look at it like this, it's the only thing doing the killing in that system. I shoot the iron will heads, they're pricey, but if you were to add up all the other crap people spend money on in the hunting world I can find 119$ in anyone's budget for a good set of heads. Guys who smoke or dip or even drink a Starbucks 20 days a month have the funds. Nothing wrong with the Magnus heads, I would just like to know that I gave my self the best odds I could afford.
I heard a guy talk about it in a podcast once, with the same basic premise.

Think of the money spent on a truck to get you into the woods (or plane ticket - whatever) plus the pack/boots/clothes/gear to keep you in the woods. Add in the money spent on a bow/sight/rest/quiver/arrows - all to deliver a sharp point at the end of the arrow into an elk - and people cheap out on broadheads - the pointy thing that is quite literally the point of it all.

I definitely think it is… IW, EVOs, Solids Ect ….all excellent materials and workmanship

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back