Yeti GOBOX Collection

Is the Kifaru Gun Bearer comfortable?

Ebstein

I have the Mystery Ranch Metcalf and want a different way to carry my rifle besides using one of the side pockets. Is it comfortable under the arm?

It is comfortable, and keeps a rifle as readily available/handy as any comparable device IMO.

I have three complaints with the Kifaru Gun Bearer, which have resulted in me using an alternative:
1)The upper strap seems to survive about one season for me. Maybe they've changed this for the better since I bought mine.
2)Where it puts the butt of the rifle in relation to your thigh has caused me to smack myself in the face with the barrel on several occasions; primarily when climbing over deadfall, navigating boulder fields, etc. Never when just walking down the trail obviously.
3)When hiking in the dark with a headlamp, the light glares off of the barrel right in front of your face.

It is comfortable, and keeps a rifle as readily available/handy as any comparable device IMO.

I have three complaints with the Kifaru Gun Bearer, which have resulted in me using an alternative:
1)The upper strap seems to survive about one season for me. Maybe they've changed this for the better since I bought mine.
2)Where it puts the butt of the rifle in relation to your thigh has caused me to smack myself in the face with the barrel on several occasions; primarily when climbing over deadfall, navigating boulder fields, etc. Never when just walking down the trail obviously.
3)When hiking in the dark with a headlamp, the light glares off of the barrel right in front of your face.
What do you use now?

Yeah. Sometimes the rifle barrel in your line of sight can get aggravating but I've never felt the rifle was in my way. I think its way easier to navigate brush with one. I have occasionally noticed the extra lopsided weight but you get used to it.

Yes, it’s amazing and the only way I have found to have your gun actually available and comfortably supported. I run it on a Metcalf.

Yes, comfortable enough. Takes a little getting used to. Keeps gun readily available.

I use mine with a MR Selway.

Overall, I like mine and think it carries the rifle well. I'd recommend it. I use it on my MR Sawtooth.

A couple small things that are annoying have already been mentioned, like the barrel being in your line-of-sight at times. I tend to knock the bill of my cap against the barrel if I'm not paying attention when looking to the right. I feel like the butt sling (probably not the official name) "slips" from time to time and needs adjustment. And the previously mentioned headlamp glare is a thing.

Other than that, I've used mine for 3 seasons with two different rifles and it's done great and is still in great shape. I find it's super fast to release the top strap and get the rifle out and ready.

I use the gun bearer on my MR metcalf and MR cabinet and really like it. You'll have to do quite a bit of tweaking to get it adjusted just right so the end of your barrel isn't in your line of vision and it's not interfering with belt accessories, etc. But after getting it fined tuned you'll be glad you got it.

I'd have to say it's one of the better purchases I've made. Most all of my hunting buddies have since bought them too.

I share some of the same complaints with hiking in the dark and the glare off the barrel from a headlamp. Generally if it's in the dark though I don't mind putting it in the pockets of the pack but rarely do that. I hate the scope under my armpit so I put it in scope down and prefer that.

I have the exact same pack, and I like mine. It takes a little bit to get used to, but not bad. I can get it out and set up for a shot pretty quickly.

How in the blazes do you all get the rifle to keep from wanting to rotate 180 so scope isn't on the downside?

I like the gunbearer, but I tend to use it for packing the rifle in/out of the backcountry rather than as the quick access below the armpit method it is intended for. Part of that is because of my annoyance that the scope always wants to flip the rifle upside down.

How in the blazes do you all get the rifle to keep from wanting to rotate 180 so scope isn't on the downside?

I like the gunbearer, but I tend to use it for packing the rifle in/out of the backcountry rather than as the quick access below the armpit method it is intended for. Part of that is because of my annoyance that the scope always wants to flip the rifle upside down.
Until this thread I legitimately didn't know anybody carried it with the scope up. I keep a neoprene sleeve over my scope and just let it ride. Buck I killed last year required quick access to the rifle and I had no trouble manipulating the rifle when pulling it up.

I like mine. Only issue is that it’s not very compatible with carrying a sidearm. I have one holster that attaches to the wasteband of my pack and that didn’t work at all with the gunbearer with both of them n my right hip. This summer I got a Kenai chest holster thinking that would work. It’s better, but the rifle is still banging against the pistol grip a lot.

Until this thread I legitimately didn't know anybody carried it with the scope up. I keep a neoprene sleeve over my scope and just let it ride. Buck I killed last year required quick access to the rifle and I had no trouble manipulating the rifle when pulling it up.
I have done the same thing, just wondering if the rest of the folks that love it use it with scope up? Or just embrace the scope down.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back