Is social media hurting the great outdoors experience?

matechakeric

Way more fishing pressure on the Erie & Ontario trib steelhead than I've ever seen before (then I see YouTube videos and Instagram posts featuring steelhead and it all makes sense). Everyone is hunting coues deer now - pre social media few people even knew that was a thing.

I've also heard social media is making some of Earth's best kept secrets crowded with visitors.

Is it all cyclical and the interest will die off or will it only get worse?

Social media ruins whatever it touches. Before selfies were the rage, if you found a place to catch big trout, you kept your mouth shut.

Now it seems like catching the fish is secondary to posing with said fish on Instagram, FB, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the ones I have the most problem with are the social media influencer types that use public lands and waters to boost their own egos with likes and comments without considering that the resource might not be able to handle the amount of attention they are attracting to it.

I think the ones I have the most problem with are the social media influencer types that use public lands and waters to boost their own egos with likes and comments without considering that the resource might not be able to handle the amount of attention they are attracting to it.
Gotta get those likes to keep the sponsors (real or imagined) happy and the paychecks coming in

Those folks will be selling off all their camping gear & such in a year or two. Too much "work" involved they will realize and go back to video games & B&B's.
I have never been on an easy, remote adventure. You have to have a crap ton of decent gear, know how to use that gear proficiently. SUV to get down the gravel road then two-track with slick mud, ruts and boulders. Woodsman skills to pick decent spot for a tent. Enjoy being away from a shower and toilet. Maybe get rained on or snowed on. Oh, need tags, licenses and permits.

Now if a paved road goes right by your honey hole with a hotel 15 minutes away then honey hole may not mean what you think it means.

I have never been on an easy, remote adventure. You have to have a crap ton of decent gear, know how to use that gear proficiently. SUV to get down the gravel road then two-track with slick mud, ruts and boulders. Woodsman skills to pick decent spot for a tent. Enjoy being away from a shower and toilet. Maybe get rained on or snowed on. Oh, need tags, licenses and permits.

Now if a paved road goes right by your honey hole with a hotel 15 minutes away then honey hole may not mean what you think it means.
Whats a paved road?

I grew up with social media and I've watched it morph over the years as it has been monetized for influencers and content creators. But I remember being young and catching fish and being told not to tell anyone where we caught them. When I started hunting I definitely wasn't going to tell someone where I was finding deer.

Last year, in a statewide Facebook hunting group a guy posted a picture of a really nice deer he killed on the game lands. He took the picture next to the trailhead sign. He received nothing for this other than likes on the picture. I just don't understand.

Whats a paved road?
You ever been to Logan NM hank?
242129294_1530845697257512_7361850776518029481_n.jpg

Not only does it hurt, It's down right annoying. I've quit hunting with some people because of their need to always be taking pictures and posting everything. At first I thought I was being petty to be bothered by it. Then I realized a guy only gets so many hunting seasons in his life. Why put up with that?

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back