Is New Zealand Over-hyped?

Good hunting, fishing, and surfing within a few hours’ drive sounds like a very appealing way to spend some time. I also appreciate that they refer to what we call “dispersed camping” as “freedom camping.”

Check out NZ Hunter and Rod and Rifle magazines. If a 250” stag makes the cover of the magazine, that should tell you a lot about the real trophy quality of the deer in NZ.

None of it is for the faint of heart.
Go on a vacation there first, then decide if you want to try to hunt there.
I've been 3 times and I've never seen bigger than a raghorn red stag on public land. Marlborough wine country estate hunts are probably what you're looking for, if you do go.

Poll needed :
Is DIY New Zealand worth the cost and effort or not? Just curious. I'm not against NZ just want honest DYI reviews. I'm mainly interested in the deer species Red Stag, fallow deer etc.

When you do decide to go, I would pm GLASS EYE and pick his brain a bit more as he will be able to give you good and current information/guidance.

My information is a bit dated but:

New Zealand is beautiful and anybody that elects to visit will not be disappointed, whether they hunt or not. And both islands have something to offer, especially if one looks past only big game hunting.

The coast line of the North Island in some places is so lush an beautiful, you just dont want to leave, And there are some large ranches there ( 25000 acres ) that do offer Red Stag hunting and those ranches will have some Red Stag that will make you smile. But you have to decide if 25000 acres is free range or not. But the hunt is not easy and you never see a fence.

Also on the North Island we enjoyed saltwater fishing, and sailing. We rented a sailboat and visited a couple of their 500/600 islands. The pheasant hunting is also enjoyable.

The South Island is also beautiful, but in a different way. The Tahr and Chamois hunting was VERY challenging and enjoyable. Beautiful country, beautiful animals, tough but enjoyable hunt.

As I have mentioned before, "if", Red Stag WAS my only objective, I would look at Argentina. Totally different country and experience, but in addition to the Red Stag hunt, the dove hunting is legendary and the fishing is good.

If I was miraculously suddenly younger, like in my 70,s and wanted both a beautiful and challenging hunt, I would consider the South Island of New Zealand.

And if you do go to New Zealand, add a week to your vacation and visit Cairns Australia;)

just out of curiosity, for those who hunted NZ and brought meat back.
do you limit yourself to how much you can bring back? gift some out locally?
whats the general process like?
for work related reasons i have contacts/friends over there, and would like to go one day, but i'd like to know i can bring back the meat if were to be successful?
thanks

just out of curiosity, for those who hunted NZ and brought meat back.
do you limit yourself to how much you can bring back? gift some out locally?
whats the general process like?
for work related reasons i have contacts/friends over there, and would like to go one day, but i'd like to know i can bring back the meat if were to be successful?
thanks
For meat you are limited to 50# without any special permit and lots of red tape.
No weight restriction on skins and antlers/horns other than what your airline will restrict.
You can give away the meat if you can find someone who wants it.
NZ has no wanton waste laws and it common practice to waste meat the further you are away and have to carry it. Seems criminal to us but seeing how the Govt poisons deer and exterminate big game from helicopters it's not a crime.

Good thread I am definitely going just not sure when. Just want to see more pictures! The diy hunt would be the way to go I think for tahr and chamois not sure about the diy red stag but I know very little about it .ha ha

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back