Is New Zealand Over-hyped?

Trigger50

Poll needed :
Is DIY New Zealand worth the cost and effort or not? Just curious. I'm not against NZ just want honest DYI reviews. I'm mainly interested in the deer species Red Stag, fallow deer etc.

If I say no will people not go and leave all the big bull tahr for me?

I will say deer of any species that are free range on public land are NOTHING like what you find by googling “New Zealand red stag”. Essentially the whole country allows folks to shoot them out of helicopters year round for the meat, velvet, and trophy hunting markets. Reset your expectations of trophy quality significantly and you’ll have a much better trip.

Don't expect gigantic reds on public land.
Those freakishly huge stags that you see advertised are pen raised and released on private property.
Reds are the most abundant deer species in NZ.
Can you post pics of some of the stags you’ve killed? This has always been a dream hunt of mine and never really knew what to expect because I’ve heard what you’ve stated about the huge stags people post but no one with first hand knowledge. Just what people Claim.

if you have time maybe post any other info about doing a hunt like that diy. Im
Years away from making that dream come true but love to Dream and keep It in the back of my head.

Can you post pics of some of the stags you’ve killed? This has always been a dream hunt of mine and never really knew what to expect because I’ve heard what you’ve stated about the huge stags people post but no one with first hand knowledge. Just what people Claim.

if you have time maybe post any other info about doing a hunt like that diy. Im
Years away from making that dream come true but love to Dream and keep It in the back of my head.
So far all 5 of my hunts have been for alpine game; tahr and chamois. I'm 58 and started hunting the NZ alps 10 years ago. I've had a gimpy leg since I was 13 when I nearly lost my leg in a motorcycle vs car accident.
So, I decided to go after the alpine game while I still have the legs for it. Every time I do it I say it's my last time but I can't stay out of the tops.
I really do want to hunt deer during the roar so maybe next time.
On my computer in my shop I have some pics from a NZ big stag contest, public land deer only. Tomorrow I'll post them up.

So far all 5 of my hunts have been for alpine game; tahr and chamois. I'm 58 and started hunting the NZ alps 10 years ago. I've had a gimpy leg since I was 13 when I nearly lost my leg in a motorcycle vs car accident.
So, I decided to go after the alpine game while I still have the legs for it. Every time I do it I say it's my last time but I can't stay out of the tops.
I really do want to hunt deer during the roar so maybe next time.
On my computer in my shop I have some pics from a NZ big stag contest, public land deer only. Tomorrow I'll post them up.
That sounds like a blast, would love to see those pics also. Glad to Hear your still getting up those Mountains. And that would be awesome if you could post those pics up

The wife and I spent a month camping in New Zealand several years back. By far the coolest place I’ve ever been to. We did a ton of fishing and exploring, but no hunting. Had I known more I’d have set aside some time, but that just means we’ll have to go back! If you have questions on camping or trout fishing, feel free to ask👍🏼

If you are really bored or you’re sitting on the John scrolling through posts, I made a video of the trip

Speaking of cars.....the last 2 trips there I rented a camper van for $18 NZ per day. Converted to US $12 and split with a friend $6 each per day.
So... Vrbo my house in Bozeman for the summer, take the wife and kids to NZ and live in vans by the river.
Gonna have to have a conversation with my boss about how work projects will progress without me around for three months.
😏

Essentially the entire trip is egregiously expensive and no one should ever go ;)

Bro don't blow it up before I get there, jeez guy
The Government routinely drops 1080 poison from helicopters into the forest to kill the deer like rats.
A few more hunters aren't going to make a dent.
Besides, the vast majority of US hunters go guided on private.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back