Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Is Nevada Worth it???

Flatrock

Hey guys, I'm looking for some comments on Nevada. I plan on applying for the first time to build points but am really having second thoughts about if I should or not, especially with the cost of applying. My biggest concern is that if I draw a tag in the future, I really don't think I could get anyone to go with me. I don't mind hunting by myself but just am not all that crazy about drawing a tag and hiking 5-10 miles in by myself. I don't know anything about hunting there and don't know if it would be possible to have a good, quality hunt by myself. I'm really hoping some of you guys have hunted there before and could give me some insight as to what your hunt was like. I know they have some great hunting though so I hate to potentially miss out on that down the road. Thoughts?????

I live and hunt in NV and it's no different than any other state in the context of building points and hunting there someday. Start building points and in a couple/few/several years, you'll have had ample time to do your scouting/research and when you're ready, cash those points in on a specific unit and go hunt. We have a lot of wide-open areas and yes you can get in 5-10 miles, but there are many places you can go and hunt a mile or so and get into plenty of animals. A lot of hunting is high desert style but there are treed areas with juniper/pine/aspen/etc. - again, the terrain varies by the unit you hunt. I love hunting in NV and can't speak for you, but I'd guess you would enjoy yourself out here on a hunt.

I plan on aplying for elk, deer, antelope and sheep. Elk is the tag that I'd really like to draw, but I might as well put in for the other 3 since I am already buying the license.

Too many variables to your question. What species? I apply in Nevada because I can go deer hunting every few years and have a chance at drawing the other species. You could do a solo hunt and have a great hunt... but there are some hunts I wouldn't do by myself. It all depends on what the tag is worth to you. You'll have to invest at least $150 every year just to apply. My tag last year cost me over $1000 with all the licenses I had to buy. Lots of things to consider. Ed F

you will need to actually invest $200 per year for deer,elk,antelope,probly will take 5 years for a good tag,longer for elk,Im puttin in because it borders my state,has good critters but drawing will take some time.

you will need to actually invest $200 per year for deer,elk,antelope,probly will take 5 years for a good tag,longer for elk,Im puttin in because it borders my state,has good critters but drawing will take some time.

Trust me, I know EXACTLY how much it will cost. That is another issue for me. It will be over $200.

It is not worth it. I put in for everything there only becuase I would put in for gofers in my home state if they had pref points for them. Points in hand just seems better than no points, regardless of what they are for...

It is not worth it. I put in for everything there only becuase I would put in for gofers in my home state if they had pref points for them. Points in hand just seems better than no points, regardless of what they are for...

That's funny, Khunter. I think many of us fall into that category. Is there a diagnosis for such symptoms/disease?

That's funny, Khunter. I think many of us fall into that category. Is there a diagnosis for such symptoms/disease?

I think I have the disease too and might not be able to save me from myself...

Big Fin, you've hunted Nevada right? Is it worth it to start building points there? Seems like a great state to try and get a nice mule deer in full velvet with a bow. Also a great state for a big bull, although that tag could be a long ways away.

Is there a cure for the disease or am I screwed?

Big Fin, you've hunted Nevada right? Is it worth it to start building points there? Seems like a great state to try and get a nice mule deer in full velvet with a bow. Also a great state for a big bull, although that tag could be a long ways away.

Is it worth it? Right up there with double loft toilet paper.

If Mrs. Fin raided my hunting fund and cranked down my tag allowance, I would junk my apps in many other states and keep NV. The last survivor would be WY pronghorn, but that would be the only thing that tops NV for all species.

Deer is not that hard to draw if you are willing to hunt in lesser known areas, with a bow or muzzy. And, you get five choices, so you can swing for the fences with chances 1 through 4, then take a safe bet on your last choice.

Is there a cure for the disease or am I screwed?

Sorry to tell you this, but you're screwed.

They make it easy to get hooked by letting you have the first drink of the 'shine at a reasonable price, when you draw your first deer tag. From there, you just get more hooked on that state, to the point where you can't wait for your next swig from the jug. With its great critters and 87%public land, the more you want of it and the more you are willing to pay for the next slurp.

Yup, you're screwed.

Sign me up for a lifetime NR license, if they ever came out with such a thing. To me, NV has the best hunting in the west, for the money. I am judging that in terms of quality and amazing access. Quantity is a function of the difficulty of producing lots of game in the arid islands of habitat NV has.

Quantity is a function of the difficulty of producing lots of game in the arid islands of habitat NV has.
Yep. Hard to grow lots of game in the driest state in the country. But, by limiting it you can grow some good 'uns. Utah appears to be getting away from that a bit, which I think in the long run will hurt them.

With a review like that one Big Fin, I would swear the state of Nevada is your newest sponsor!!! Haha.
I've heard those same things said elsewhere about Nevada and I guess that seals the deal for me. Thanks for your input.

Big fin is right.... once you draw your first tag, you can't stop the urge to go back. Another option is to find a buddy (sucker) with a bunch of points and convince him that you need to apply together. Nevada averages points and rounds up. Odds are that I'm huntin Nevada again this year... Ed F

Okay, I'm jumping into Nevada too I think. Am I too late to apply for this year? I just tried applying online and it said I had to apply by mail since I'm under 50 and haven't ever applied there before I have to mail in my hunters saftey certificate. The application is for a hunting license only so I'm wondering if I can get it bought in time to turn around and apply for the drawings. I guess I need to give them a call.

Well, that was easy! They just had me fax a copy of my hunters safety certificate to them with all my pertinent information and they are entering it into their system as I type this. I will be able to apply online within the hour. Seemed more like customer service than dealing with a government entity!

P.S. - The Montana system is pretty sweet too, I lost my original hunters safety certificate YEARS ago and never thought I would need it. Of course now that I'm hunting in different states I need it and was dreading having to take the course over again. Looked around online and discovered you just put in your name and birthdate and you can print out a duplicate certificate right off the internet.

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back