Is Nebraska worth applying for?

renello

I currently apply in Wyoming, Colorado and Utah. I may start to take the chance on New Mexico tags here and there starting next year. Is Nebraska worth putting in applications or building preference points? I like Nebraska's closer proximity to me in NW Ontario and I have hunted turkey there and had good success and met some great people. Worth it?

Nebraska has a lot of deer. Main thing is you need to meet up with the landowners and talk them into allowing you to hunt. That state has a higher private to public land ratio but many landowners allow you to hunt. The state requires you to check in on harvesting big game and they have a number you can do it on a telephone but sometimes you have to go to a check station. They have both mule deer and whitetail and trophies in both but the state is harder to hunt because the land is generally flat, agricultural use for the most part. They do have rolling hills and some mountains but nothing like Colorado, Wyoming and Montana. Benefit is they feed on agricultural products and that gives it a sweet kind of flavor not gamey at all. Find a place to hunt first by doing your research then put in for it.

Thanks for the response Doug. Sort of my take. Used to hunt turkeys on private river bottom land in North East Nb and I did see both mule and whitetailed deer. Not sure I am ready to put Nebraska in the rotation yet. Good advice on getting permission first then applying for tag.

If you do put Nebraska in the rotation you will not find better tasting deer because there is virtually zero sage brush. Agriculture fed deer are the best. They feed mainly on corn and wheat in that state along with alfalfa. If you go further south to Kansas, you can get multiple tags there.

Nebraska deer

Attachments

• 8851C44F-170A-43E0-BDD2-17F44171D1DB.jpeg
    8851C44F-170A-43E0-BDD2-17F44171D1DB.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 40
  • 524A04AC-BF39-4A9A-ACED-B3C67C7C0F14.jpeg
    524A04AC-BF39-4A9A-ACED-B3C67C7C0F14.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 39
  • 13CDCE97-9001-42E9-8AC0-C57F81214CFE.jpeg
    13CDCE97-9001-42E9-8AC0-C57F81214CFE.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 40
  • 7E77C03B-065C-4BEB-AC25-C820788532BE.jpeg
    7E77C03B-065C-4BEB-AC25-C820788532BE.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 41
I assume you're talking about rifle Mule Deer, since archery and Whitetails can be had over the counter. My advice would be this - line up a place to hunt before considering it. There's some great mule deer hunting in Nebraska ... on private land. The public land gets absolutely crushed by both residents and NRs from the East thinking its the closest place to get their first mule deer. Plenty of folks coming from the West too, due to OTC tags, but we're usually looking for Whitetails.

I hunt Nebraska for whitetails.

The Hunting Public boys did pretty good on Nebraska public land last year. One of the more exciting hunts I have watched on any platform.

Nebraska rifle are otc with caps, certain amount for each unit just have to buy one before they sell out

Reactions: LCH
There was a 180” killed on public opening morning, saw a lot of good deer killed on public while I was out there.

My dad and paternal grandpa hunted a lot of deer both mulies and whitetail around Cozad over the years. We used to see a lot of them driving back and forth when I was younger and my understanding is the population now is still pretty healthy.

Nebraska rifle are otc with caps, certain amount for each unit just have to buy one before they sell out
Not entirely true. They are over-the-counter, IF they have not all gone in the draw. Mule deer tags in some units are under-subscribed, but the Mule Deer Control Units can sell out quickly. Doe permits are over-the-counter, upon opening of the "buy" period. They are usually easy to get, if bought early.

Nebraska has some good deer, but you had best have some land leased, or at least gotten permission somewhere, before the hunt. More and more land is leased by outfitters and other land is hunted by friends and family. It is not getting any easier, if you think that you have to have antlers to make you feel good. Public land produces some good deer, if you don't mind a sea of orange hunting with you. Doe access is virtually unlimited, due to high herd numbers and crop damage.

Antlers taste like crap, but Nebraska does are as good as it gets, for eating.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back