Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Is it worth starting?

jt4

I don't have any points for moose, sheep or goats, but have a huge desire to go on at least one hunt for each. Is it worth it to start putting in for preference points and applying in the lower 48 or am I better off just not wasting the money on it and trying to go through alaska / yukon trips once I know for a fact its time to go?

If you were to apply in several states for all three it seems like it would cost a small fortune each year with a very small chance of ever being drawn.

I know moose is a little different story since I could go to Newfoundland / New Brunswick to scratch that itch but still wanted to include it.

Depends on your ability to afford to apply. Can't win if you don't play. That said, I've decided it's a better investment for me to just put the money I would be spending on applications into a savings account for my kids rather than apply for them with no real sure hope of ever getting a tag. I figure if I save the money for them, they should be able to at least go on a hunt some day for one of the bigger species. I am still putting in for myself for some of the species just because I am already in the game. Not sure if I will ever stand a chance. Admittedly the nice thing about actually applying is the ability to go DIY if you were so fortunate to draw a tag.
Idaho is a good state to look into if you're wanting to at least have a chance each year. You can only apply for one of the big 3 each year, but there are better odds there than most other states, and there is no point system, so you're not starting out years behind everybody else.

"have a huge desire"
"Is it worth it "

Human nature seeks the path of least resistance. I suggest follow your excitement. That is where unknowns are. Excitement and fear reside here, but what if? Not trying = not knowing. Taking action = excitement, and learned experience. Success or failure is an opinion, by yourself or another. Taking action is key.

If you are determined to do DIY and this is a lifelong dream of yours, you can afford it, and you can live with the long draw odds, then go for it absolutely

If you don't mind going guided, save your money and pay for guided trips. Personally, I'm planning to do DIY Alaska moose because I'd prefer not to do guided in NF. Also, if you are willing to hunt female animals, this is much more practical to draw in the lower 48.

If you are less then 10 yrs old, then go for it, if you can afford the investment. If you are over 10 yrs old -you will never catch up to point creep unless you plan to be hunting as a centenarian. :mad:

If your a resident of a state, then maybe. If you're a NR, Idaho is about the only one I'd mess with. I pulled out of WY for MSG, I'll never catch up. Take the money I'd be paying points, and I could go to Canada or AK in less time and get a tag. I'd rather spend the extra money in the next five years and be able to physically do the hunt, than try to wait thrity years and wonder if I can get up the mountain.

If you don't mind going guided, save your money and pay for guided trips. Personally, I'm planning to do DIY Alaska moose because I'd prefer not to do guided in NF. Also, if you are willing to hunt female animals, this is much more practical to draw in the lower 48.

I thought you had to be guided in AK unless you were a resident or had family there?

If your a resident of a state, then maybe. If you're a NR, Idaho is about the only one I'd mess with. I pulled out of WY for MSG, I'll never catch up. Take the money I'd be paying points, and I could go to Canada or AK in less time and get a tag. I'd rather spend the extra money in the next five years and be able to physically do the hunt, than try to wait thrity years and wonder if I can get up the mountain.

This was kind of my thought process as well, but I didn't know about Idaho. Very good info here.

I pulled a moose tag in Idaho and spoke with another member on this site who did as well. If you plan to apply there study the odds, and be smart. The wolves haven't eaten them all...

If you are less then 10 yrs old, then go for it, if you can afford the investment. If you are over 10 yrs old -you will never catch up to point creep unless you plan to be hunting as a centenarian. :mad:

That's what I was going to say as well.

People always say "somebody has to draw." Yes that's true but when there are tens of thousands of people applying for these tags, your odds are still pretty miniscule. If you don't mind throwing away $1,000+ on points/licenses every year, then by all means go for it. Between CO, ID and WY, you're damn near at $1,000. I'm 35 with 8-9 points in a lot of states and am seriously considering just dumping lots of my big 3 points. Even with all my points and applying every year, odds are very good that I'll never draw a sheep tag.

I think you're better off just buying some of the raffle tickets for different tags. I'd rather just buy $50 worth of tickets for Montana's sheep than be in the points game there.

I don't have any points for moose, sheep or goats, but have a huge desire to go on at least one hunt for each. Is it worth it to start putting in for preference points and applying in the lower 48 or am I better off just not wasting the money on it and trying to go through alaska / yukon trips once I know for a fact its time to go?

If you were to apply in several states for all three it seems like it would cost a small fortune each year with a very small chance of ever being drawn.

I know moose is a little different story since I could go to Newfoundland / New Brunswick to scratch that itch but still wanted to include it.

Are you an 19-24 year old non-smoker, with no family history of high blood pressure or cancer. Do you exercise regularly, and do you drink less than 7 alcoholic beverages a week?

If so then you should apply, otherwise no you will die before you draw.

Last edited:
Depends on your ability to afford to apply. Can't win if you don't play. That said, I've decided it's a better investment for me to just put the money I would be spending on applications into a savings account for my kids rather than apply for them with no real sure hope of ever getting a tag......

^^^This, what Ben said is very wise & insightful, beyond anything else said, IF you have kids and limited budget. (I cut the rest of his quote off) Those 18 years go by quick, one thing I am glad we did was sock away money into college funds from the day they were born until HS graduation, one of my better decisions in life. I said the heck w/all the applications, but that's just my opinion.

...and there still wasn't enough to cover all the college expenses, but dang it sure covered a bunch of it.

Are you an 19-24 year old non-smoker, with no family history of high blood pressure or cancer. Do you exercise regularly, and do you drink less than 7 alcoholic beverages a week?

If so then you should apply, otherwise no you will die before you draw.
You get 14 alcoholic beverages per week if you're a dude, just saying.

You get 14 alcoholic beverages per week if you're a dude, just saying.

Goal isn't to live to hold a sheep tag in your hand but to be fit enough at that time to be successful in harvesting one, but yes 14 is the CDC limit for "moderate" drinking.

If you want to hunt sheep at 70, knock back the 2 beers a night to 1 beer every other or every third night to keep the weight down and the knees healthy.

Exactly, probably should try and exercise every day, or every other day at the least. Mix cardio and weight lifting, should do some sort of stretching or yoga, and do lots of tough elk and deer hunts until you draw.

You are really fighting the odds to live to 70. To be fit at that age to hunt the mountains requires a lot of discipline.

If you can't kill an elk solo in an OTC unit at age 30, I would give up on the idea of ever hunting sheep or goats, unless you're going fully guided.

Exactly, probably should try and exercise every day, or every other day at the least. Mix cardio and weight lifting, should do some sort of stretching or yoga, and do lots of tough elk and deer hunts until you draw.

You are really fighting the odds to live to 70. To be fit at that age to hunt the mountains requires a lot of discipline.

If you can't kill an elk solo in an OTC unit at age 30, I would give up on the idea of ever hunting sheep or goats, unless you're going fully guided.

All of that and rub your lucky rabbit's foot that your body parts will hold up that long. I'm working hard to keep my functional but a knee and ankle are fighting back. It ain't easy. I'm not even hoping to get into the sheep and goat game - though I would if I could pull the tags. A goat is a life-long dream and a sheep would be just about as great, but neither are in my bucket because I will never draw.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back