PEAX Equipment

Is it Possible to Draw both an ELK and DEER tag?

BraidenR

Since I have no tags left in my pocket for this year, I am looking forward to next year. In this I have ran up to a question, that I have not been able to get answered from a reliable source.

I would like to do a hunt in Colorado next year. Preferably elk, but would not run from a deer tag. However I with my home and work situation it is not likely that I would be able to swing the time off for both a deer and elk in the same year. I have been told that it not an issue because most states wont allow a non-resident to draw both an elk and a deer tag in the same year. Is this accurate? I have never heard this before. If so, do they look at elk or deer first? I did my best search the regs, and also looked on gohunt to see if they mentioned anything, but I have found nothing at this point.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Lol... I'm not aware of any state that doesn't allow a NR to get both a deer and an elk tag in a year.

You can draw both given the unit you choose has both, your points cover the amount required.
If you want to do both, put in for a deer tag unit that is OTC elk.

Yes you can get both tags just have to check the points it takes for each species during the season you are wanting to hunt. in the unit you want to hunt in

I know here in Utah a Non Resident can not draw both a limited Entry Deer and Limited Entry Elk in the same year, even though they can apply for both. But I do appreciate all of the help.

I know here in Utah a Non Resident can not draw both a limited Entry Deer and Limited Entry Elk in the same year, even though they can apply for both. But I do appreciate all of the help.

1573066040234.png

That rule applies to residents as well, per the website.

Also it doesn't preclude you from holding both a deer and elk permit, one of those just has to be a general season or antlerless tag.

That makes sense. I assumed it was just the issue with the limited entry hunts. As a resident of Utah I can only apply for one Limited entry hunt anyways. Anyways I digress. This is simply the reason I felt to check. While I would absolutely love to have the time off to hunt multiple species in other states as well has my favorite hunts at home in utah, I simply dont. I also dont have the extra cash to draw both and not go. So I just wanted to ask, so I could take that into account with my application strategy. Thanks again

That makes sense. I assumed it was just the issue with the limited entry hunts. As a resident of Utah I can only apply for one Limited entry hunt anyways. Anyways I digress. This is simply the reason I felt to check. While I would absolutely love to have the time off to hunt multiple species in other states as well has my favorite hunts at home in utah, I simply dont. I also dont have the extra cash to draw both and not go. So I just wanted to ask, so I could take that into account with my application strategy. Thanks again

Zach nailed it with his advice. Find a deer unit for Archery, 2nd, or 3rd season that has OTC elk tags.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back