Yeti GOBOX Collection

Is it like this every year?

I like the craziness that goes with the draw process. I apply for (MT) super tags, deer, elk, and antelope, and love the anticipation that comes with prospect of the next years opportunities. I also hunt in SC, and the craziness that goes along with game camera photos keeps you excited throughout the off season and helps you look forward to what you may see during the year.

Hey neighbor. Do youhunt the coastal general elk season or out East? I put in for Zumwalt cow but didn't get anything. Hopefully next year. Also planning to try for a leftover elk tag when they drop on the first. If I get one of those it will be a whole nother level of crazy up in here.

as for now i hunt the coast range for Roosevelt Elk , living where i do i can start to hunt elk 30 min from home, having elk so close to home it only made sense for me to hunt here, ya theres a lot more big bulls east, but i feel i can be a better elk hunter by investing my time with the elk close to home and learn the land and the elk better by spending 12 months a year i scouting in the Roosevelt kingdom. ive taken 4 Roosevelts to date with a rifle , a spike, cow and two 4 point branch bulls. this year im switching to archery elk hunting. evenutally i will hunt rocky mt elk, i would like to get at least 1 rocky mtn branch bull

Which season did you put in for? Some are a guaranteed draw with no points.
That's what I thought. According to the draw odds stats guy I was 100% for Zumwalt as my second choice but ended up skunked. I still have pref points though, and I'm hoping to get lucky with leftovers.

That's what I thought. According to the draw odds stats guy I was 100% for Zumwalt as my second choice but ended up skunked. I still have pref points though, and I'm hoping to get lucky with leftovers.

The thing is, who knows how many folks put in for those hunts as a second choice—I don’t believe they publish that data. If there are 100 tags for any given season, and only 60 people put in for the tag as a first choice, it looks as though it’d be a slam dunk to pick up one of those remaining tags as a second choice. But if 150 guys also tried to snag one of those 40 as a second choice, you can see what that’d do to your odds. If you really want it, make it your first choice. Awesome country, the Zumwalt.

Good luck on your hunt man. I get to start hunting Labor Day weekend. Going scouting tomorrow. Can’t freakin wait.

The thing is, who knows how many folks put in for those hunts as a second choice—I don’t believe they publish that data. If there are 100 tags for any given season, and only 60 people put in for the tag as a first choice, it looks as though it’d be a slam dunk to pick up one of those remaining tags as a second choice. But if 150 guys also tried to snag one of those 40 as a second choice, you can see what that’d do to your odds. If you really want it, make it your first choice. Awesome country, the Zumwalt.

Good luck on your hunt man. I get to start hunting Labor Day weekend. Going scouting tomorrow. Can’t freakin wait.
Good luck. Pics or it never happened.

Every single day of the year, at least for a minute or two my mind is thinking about hunting. The amount of time varies depending on the month of year, if I have a special tag or trip, etc. But for each day, I will think about hunting somewhat. And I’m very happy with that.

Planning the trips for me is half the fun. Several pre-trip get togethers with traveling buddies over greasy eggs and bacon in a diner, or sitting out on my deck having a few cold ones. Going over maps, lists, personnel gear issues, group gear items, etc.

The first step is admitting you have a problem.

Hi, my name is Kevin and I'm a hunting junkie. My first deer season was 45 years ago and it hasn't let up yet. Welcome to the rest of your life.

yes!

But if it ever isn't, change hobbies to whatever does get you excited

I am unable to hunt any longer, but I was like a teenager getting her first car, planning and then participating in my granddaughters recent hunt.

Last edited:
Although I'm thrilled to hunt elk I wouldn't call myself an elkaholic. I am however addicted to quack.
I started hunting when I was 12 and I'll be 57 in Nov. I'm always planning hunts 2-3 years out.

My first year hunting ever, I've drawn a great tag for Buck Deer in my home state, and I literally can't sleep for all the dreaming and scheming. I open Google Earth at least a few times a day to look for water and cover around nearby meadows. I have tons of layers for access points, distances from roads, and such plugged in not to mention transferring KML files back and forth to/from OnX maps.

Am I nuts? Will I be less crazy next year?
next year will be easier because you will no longer have the new hunter luck and probably won't draw a tag.

All day, everyday for me....pretty much all that keeps me sane anymore.

You know you have a problem when you have 3 computer screens on your desk at work and one has OnX, another has Gohunt, and the other has work related stuff(Autocad/GPS processing software) for Land surveying.

Back