Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Is it just me ?

Huntkook

One thing that I've noticed since joining Hunt Talk is that there's alot of people asking questions that have done little to no research. Why???? Since starting my western hunting adventure in 2009 I have learned alot from doing research,(and by no means am I belittling no-one). It's just by doing the research you enhance your adventure. I dragged my best friend into this in 2016 and have since created a western hunting addict. Half the fun of this whole process is doing the research ask some questions and when it works out WOW what a feeling of accomplishment. Don't miss out on this, life is one big adventure do it to the fullest.

Ummmm... A month here and you make that assessment? Part of research IS HT sometimes. mtmuley

A month as a member, have been ready posts for awhile now, amoung other hunting forums. And yes I agree HT is a very good research tool. That's why I joined. Hopefully to learn and to help.

would you tell folks to get out of a library if they haven’t read many books?
I get your point, and I agree with you that the more you put in the more you get out. But asking questions is usually the prerequisite of learning. To each their own.
You’ll also find that there are a handful of people on this forum that do enough research for themselves, their kids, their friends, and those that come on to hunt talk asking questions...and generally don’t make many judgements about the people they are helping. Those people are helping ensure our kids’ kids’ kids will still be allowed to hunt.

I'm not entirely sure HOW to do research. Oh, I know a few things, but half the time, in a new region, I don't know what I'm looking for, or at.

For fun, I'm going to try to research OTC elk tags in CO. But was does one look for? If everyone looks for the same thing, than we can probably hold a HT convention at some saddle about 4 miles from the trail head in Unit XYZ - because we will all be looking for the same thing. :)

Just kidding, but only kinda...

Go to the CPW website and look at the brochure, draw and harvest reports and the hunt atlas, also the NW or SW regional hunt guides.

If you want it boiled down and consolidated for you, subscribe to Eastmans' Hunting and Bowhunting Journals and look in the online editions for the Members Research Section for Colorado or whatever western state you want. You'll generally find the top 75-125 hunts for each species. The also put out a hardcover book around November that has expanded research sections from that year. There are other places to go too, I'm most familiar with EHJ and EBJ.

Even with that, there is more research to do on Google Earth, calling a local biologist and actually getting boots on the ground in the unit to scout. Talk to other guys on this forum and others but they'll generally be more helpful if you've got a few dozen posts in at least.

Mike Eastmans' books also have information on what to ask outfitters and biologists, David Long and others also have helpful books with chapters on choosing an area. One thing to remember - better a good unit that you know well than a high point unit you hunt every 10-15 years. Of course, the host of this forum has good material in his videos on what to look for.

Last edited:
Never hunted in Colorado but have wanted to. I know they have a phone number for hunt help called hunt planner. You tell them what you're trying to do and they'll point you in the right direction.

I don't think most of us mind helping; we do mind the lazy researcher. I have directly benefited from solicited advice, and in turn have offered my own experiences. Some etiquette goes a long way. For those that might need some guidance:

1. Search the forums before you ask.
2. Show that you have done some work before you ask others to help.
3. Realize that you will get a general direction, not a specific waypoint (metaphorically speaking.)
4. Learning about the process and the "how" of it all is finitely more valuable than just filling in blanks on a map.
5. Contribute before you consume. Share a story, post a pic, engage the forum. (A 100 post count asking for help will probably see more help than a 1 post count.)

It's not necessarily the easiest thing for those of us who aren't so technically inclined. The search function only goes so far, and doesn't let you include terms like "elk" or region numbers in your search, because it's not a long enough string of text. One thing that's really helped me out is using google to search the site. This was a pretty huge breakthrough for me.

For those who don't know, if you go to google, you can search a specific site for terms. My google search might look like this:

site:eek:nyourownadventures.com "seeley lake"

By putting quotations, it searches exactly that term, so this search would not turn up posts that only mentioned seeley or only mentioned lake, it has to be exactly "seeley lake." I use it to search specific hunting units, so I might search "Unit XXX" to turn up posts that are talking about the hunting district I'm interested in. I don't think it's necessarily the most intuitive thing - correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
I am a member of a couple of fishing sites as well as a couple of hunting sites. People are always going to ask questions on how to do things or where to go. It just depends on how they ask or what they are asking for that rubs some the wrong way. I don't mind helping with general info but I will not give all of my information away. I used to but then of course my locations would get overcrowded.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back