Irresponsible public land shooters

You don't say whether you contacted anyone....did you? If not, well...there you go ....you need to even if you don't want to confront people. I have done it a few times on public water ways, call the park service, non emergency 911 line...something....
Here's the problem, you go over to gather information, take some photo's plate numbers, etc. and its almost immediately a confrontation.

I've had it happen numerous times, they know they're busted and before long you're a no-good tree hugging liberal, Karen, enviro-hippy, yada yada.

Here's the problem, you go over to gather information, take some photo's plate numbers, etc. and its almost immediately a confrontation.

I've had it happen numerous times, they know they're busted and before long you're a no-good tree hugging liberal, Karen, enviro-hippy, yada yada.
Well, I guess if everything has to be either black or white, I don't mind being on board with the tree huggers on this. Or maybe just say screw it and wear your own colors?

Lack of education, caring and too many newbies. I have no issue with newbies, but please take the ten minutes to go on the state or fed website to see what is appropriate. And tree huggers can be just as bad. My new thing is picking up plastic bags with crap in them that are left on the side of the trail. No, they are not being picked up by the person on their way back. For the life of me I can't figure out the logic of that one, other than they know some idioy like me will take it out.

Lack of education, caring and too many newbies. I have no issue with newbies, but please take the ten minutes to go on the state or fed website to see what is appropriate. And tree huggers can be just as bad. My new thing is picking up plastic bags with crap in them that are left on the side of the trail. No, they are not being picked up by the person on their way back. For the life of me I can't figure out the logic of that one, other than they know some idioy like me will take it out.
Same with people picking up their dogs' shit with those cute colored little bags they sell at pet stores ... then tossing the bag of dog shit on the side of the trail. And they think they're doing a good thing! Brother! That is way over the edge of stupid.

I said if you don't want to confront them....then you should at least call, not sure it read that way. I would not go over there and all and do what you stated, that would be confronting them :)

Same with people picking up their dogs' shit with those cute colored little bags they sell at pet stores ... then tossing the bag of dog shit on the side of the trail. And they think they're doing a good thing! Brother! That is way over the edge of stupid.
Ugh, I hate it when people toss bags of dog shit on the trail. its like walking down the rainbow road of shitty people. Off to see the wonderful wizard of oz.

Much better to hide it in the storm sewer!

If I can't see it, it don't exist!!!

Threads quite often go the way of the turd 'round here. Part of what made me sign up after lurking for so long. Toilet humor = good humor

Threads quite often go the way of the turd 'round here. Part of what made me sign up after lurking for so long. Toilet humor = good humor
That's because of the Colorado folks. It's the poop lovers state. Right there with California on per capita public feces events.

Much better to hide it in the storm sewer!

If I can't see it, it don't exist!!!
Dog crap decomposes much faster in a storm sewer than stuffed in a plastic bag and buried at the dump. It's all about letting bacteria do their work as efficiently as possible ... without having to step in it while we wait. And some litter is composting at the same time. Seems to be a win win scenario. Kind of a no brainer.

Entitled pricks. Not my problem award winners.
That's the Karen of today. Snowflake society that's been degrading and God only knows to what extent this trend continues before we have a generation counter snob/slobs of tomorrow.

It's not merely a favored drainage or designated public shooting range. It's the morality / ethics of society as a nation. Parking lots, stop lights, highways, campgrounds.

Sad setting, indeed. Several years back a group of us would route along a known shooting series of ravines/drainages. Pull a dumped washing machine/old T.V. shot to chit and clearly not by the same 'tards who dumped and shot it to hell and back. Sad to say, we turned into an almost dependency icon as the crap increased!

Lazy 'tards who hold little respect for others. Plain and simple. Parents / community leaders are not what existed pre... Vietnam, IMO.

Year before last BHA picked up 3500 pounds of trash off that BLM. Time before that, we had about 1600 pounds.

Also have cleaned up Rogers Canyon 4 times over the past several years, its better, but I haven't been out there lately.

Probably should organize another cleanup for both places.
The Fed's answer to slobs trashing BLM lands is to close it to everyone. It's the easiest way for them to deal with the problem.

Many dog waste bags now are biodegradable. Can’t say what sort the bags you’re finding are, but the ones I buy are biodegradable for instance. I still don’t get why people leave them on the side of the trail though.

Really gets me when it’s along the city walking paths here. There’s a trash can every quarter mile or so, yet so many people just bag it and leave it there. Laziness to the highest degree.

Every time I go out to the Public lands near me I’m blown away by the amount of trash there is dumped there. Some of this stuff easily took more effort to dump on the BLM than it would have to take to the city dump, and probably cost more in fuel.

Last edited:
Year before last BHA picked up 3500 pounds of trash off that BLM. Time before that, we had about 1600 pounds.

Also have cleaned up Rogers Canyon 4 times over the past several years, its better, but I haven't been out there lately.

Probably should organize another cleanup for both places.
Let me know if you do, I'll try and come. We did a small one at Roger's Canyon back in college, didn't do much overall and didn't last long. The only good thing about it was the people that showed up to shoot and hauled off some of their crap they clearly didn't intend on hauling home when they saw us with full truck beds.

I live near a public parcel that gets shit all over by recreational shooters. I’ve completely changed my opinion over the years…. Rec shooting needs banned on public lands other than designated shooting ranges.
I’d wager 80-90% of the shooters are NOT hunters but instead college-aged punks with daddy’s credit card that have unlimited funds for ammo and tannerite…
Outside of their behavior and lack of respect for the land, the BIGGEST problem is the complete incompetence and apathetic, do-nothing attitude and response from the agency that manages the land.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back