MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Irish Setter boots

chrispbrown27

Back in the days when I needed steel toe boots for work, Red Wings were the most comfortable boots that the boot truck carried. I wore slip-ons for a while but really preferred a logger style. I see plenty of talk about Hanwag, Schnees, Kenetrek, etc but I have never seen anyone mention Irish Setters for mountain boots. Just curious why.

I would assume that they’re typically geared for stand hunting and not spot and stalk. I love my elk trekkers! I only bust them out for midwest deer hunts. Also, they don’t sponsor anyone so they’re left in the dust.

Great shop or job site boots or they were. But I never wore any away from a job.

I’ve got a pair of 10” Elk Trackers, not as heavy duty as my Kenetreks, but still a good boot.
The soles are not as stiff nor is the shaft. Not my go to hunting boot, but wear them quite often.

I wear my elk trackers for all my hunting in NC and they did fine on the antelope and elk hunts I've been on. I've never owned boots from the upper echelon so can't compare.

I wore setters for a work boot. First day out I stepped on the blade of a t-post and punctured the instep.

Warmest boot otherwise I ever owned.

I’ve got a pair of insulated Ravines that are actually one of my favorite boots!! Warm, great padding, and I was impressed with the water proofing. Traction is leaving a lot to be desired after 3 years of hunts, and winter log trucking but the rest have held up great. Pretty cheap to “boot” too. Haha. Only thing making me skeptical to get another pair is they have converted them to the BOA lacing system and I’m not sure I’d like that 🤷🏻‍♂️

I tried a pair of elk trekkers, worst fitting boots I've ever owned. They had no heel cup and a seam in the heel, they gave me blisters almost instantly. Everyone's feet are different, they didn't fit me at all. I have lowa and miendl now, no comparison, totally different league of boot.

The first year I worked in the woods, I showed up with a pair of Red Wings, thinking I was good to go. Everyone told me the first thing I needed to do was get a real pair of boots. They were right, those boots didn't last three months.

When I first started mountain hunting chasing elk I bought a pair of Irish Setter boots can't remember the name though. They were comfortable and worked fine. They are not durable and I wore the soles out as they would not grip and I would slip and slide. I used Danners after that and in 2017 bought a pair of Kenetrek. I will never go back, might try Crispi or Zamberlan some day but I really have no reason to switch. Work boots I have always had to wear steel toe and Red Wings were always my go to. Not sure if anyone else noticed but the Red Wing boots aren't what they used to be especially in the comfort department. I see Kenetrek offers steel toe boots🤔

When I first started mountain hunting chasing elk I bought a pair of Irish Setter boots can't remember the name though. They were comfortable and worked fine. They are not durable and I wore the soles out as they would not grip and I would slip and slide. I used Danners after that and in 2017 bought a pair of Kenetrek. I will never go back, might try Crispi or Zamberlan some day but I really have no reason to switch. Work boots I have always had to wear steel toe and Red Wings were always my go to. Not sure if anyone else noticed but the Red Wing boots aren't what they used to be especially in the comfort department. I see Kenetrek offers steel toe boots🤔
You have a very valid point. Red Wings are not nearly the boot they were a few years back.

I tried a pair of elk trekkers, worst fitting boots I've ever owned. They had no heel cup and a seam in the heel, they gave me blisters almost instantly. Everyone's feet are different, they didn't fit me at all. I have lowa and miendl now, no comparison, totally different league of boot.
I have had a couple pair of elk trackers. 1000 gram. Usually wear them on short hunts in the real cold. Kenetreks the rest of the time. Not a bad boot if used accordingly. But, I did master a Gerber Vital too. mtmuley

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back