Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Help getting boots to dry

blueridge

I have a pair of insulated rubber boots that I wear waterfowl hunting. Irish Setter, 800g insulation. I stepped into a hole back in January and filled them with water. I have hung them upside down in my garage for a few weeks, set them outside in the sun for a few weeks, put newspapers inside them, blew my shop fan into them, bought a boot dryer and left them on it for 3 days … still holding water in the sole and toe!!! Removable sole is out in case you’re wondering.
This is ridiculous. Anyone have something else to try?

I figured the boot dryer would work. Was it heat or just air?

Don't put them upside down - it traps the moisture. Surprised boot dryer didn't work. I've had success using a blow dryer on low heat setting on my leather hunting boots. They seem to dry quicker upright vs. upside down.

boot dryer. have circulate air in there. or heat them up enough from the out side to
cook the moisture out w/o melting them

Boot drier didn’t work? I used to put neoprene wetsuit booties on a Peet and they’d be dry after a few cycles. Otherwise they’d stay wet for weeks.

Anyway, have you considered tossing some dessinant powder in there? Get some of that Damp Rid from the hardware store and give it a go? It think it comes in bags as-is, as well as tubs you could cut open. Maybe you could put some of the pellets into cheese cloth or an old t shirt so they don’t harden up and attach to the lining? I’ve never tried this and it could fail miserably, so use your own best judgement.

If the air is humid it's going to take forever... can you put them in a closet with a dehumidifier and the boot dryer? Or plug in the boot dryer in the laundry room.... furnace room, etc.

Newspaper sounds like a good idea, buy some cheap handwarmers and toss them in the toes, they will heat it up and absorb moisture.

Honestly Id probably get rid of them. Sounds like a headache.
You may need to squeeze out the trapped moisture. Wear them for a few hours while walking around change your socks every 15 minutes.

Rice in a sock? Never tried it but it should absorb some of the excess moisture. Seems odd that the sole is out and you still have moisture. It isn't the rubber, so must be the insulation? I wonder if there is a crack somewhere.

Boot drier didn’t work? I used to put neoprene wetsuit booties on a Peet and they’d be dry after a few cycles. Otherwise they’d stay wet for weeks.

Anyway, have you considered tossing some dessinant powder in there? Get some of that Damp Rid from the hardware store and give it a go? It think it comes in bags as-is, as well as tubs you could cut open. Maybe you could put some of the pellets into cheese cloth or an old t shirt so they don’t harden up and attach to the lining? I’ve never tried this and it could fail miserably, so use your own best judgement.
Desiccant is actually a great idea and something I haven’t tried. That and @wllm ‘s idea of the dehumidifier in a closet.

Honestly Id probably get rid of them. Sounds like a headache.
You may need to squeeze out the trapped moisture. Wear them for a few hours while walking around change your socks every 15 minutes.
That was the last ditch effort I’ve been avoiding: walking around with thick wool socks to wick it out. … I hate wet socks. But the weight pushing the socks deep down into the insulation would likely be best to keep the wicking happening.

I think l’ll try the desiccant and dehumidifier and keep this as last resort.

Desiccant is actually a great idea and something I haven’t tried. That and @wllm ‘s idea of the dehumidifier in a closet.
Beat me to it. I had waders that didn’t dry for a long time. Even tried rice and nothing worked. Bought a ton of desiccant bags from Amazon and viola. Keep ‘em upright and you’re good to go

Keep the boots upright and use this type of boot dryer that allows evaporated moisture to escape.

View attachment 273415U
Is turning the peet dryer upside down the same thing?? Going to find out:
BC1E7C94-120D-413C-BCEC-6C91DA800F6C.jpeg
Update: No, not the same. There are holes in the base and the heat just rises and, without forced air, never makes it down.

Last edited:
Back