Intro from Michigan

shanny28757

Hey guys! I live in Michigan. I've hunted and fished all my life, mostly whitetail from tree stands. I have always wanted to go West to hunt but never had the resources or network of guys to help make it happen. I've started accumulating the necessary gear to make it happen this year. I intend to apply for elk and mule deer tags in draw units in a couple states as well as strategically purchase some preference points. If I don't draw, I will end up buying an OTC tag, likely in Colorado.

Whitetail hunting regulations in Michigan are so simple: you want to hunt, you go buy a tag. Western states are so much more complex to me so I'll be looking for advice on how to sift through draw result data, hunter success stats, etc. in order to give myself the best chance to have a great hunt.

Welcome.I'm in the same boat as you, there is a ton on good info on here and some really good people willing to help you out.

Glad to see another Michigander, even if you are a troll��. I can assure you, after your first western hunting trip, you'll be hooked. Welcome aboard!

Yooper Too

Near MQT and welcome. I too am interested in a western on your own hunt.

Welcome. Another fellow Michigander here to, from just outside of Flint. I moved to Bend, 3 1/2 years ago and began learning the western style of hunting and fishing regulations. Like you, I was use to the easy to follow regs of Michigan. There is a ton of knowledge on this site for you to learn from. My advice is to read and reread the regulations and they will begin to make sense. If you are a research junkie like me, learning the regs of all the western states can actually be quite fun and you will see how many different opportunities are out there.

And having also grown up and hunting whitetails from tree stands for the first 27 years of my life, I can tell you this.....spot and stalk hunting will change your life, at least it did for me.

Back