International Hunters Education Association endorses responsible ATV use.

Del, all I have to say is just check the travel plan and with the FS and BLM.

I have not seen anywhere on any BLM or FS map, or read any regulations from either agency, that states you can legally retrieve game off road with any motorized vehicle.

I'd hate to see you get in a bind over not reading the regs/travel plans. For what its worth, I've looked over the FS maps and read the regulations as well as talked with LEO's and multiple ranger districts about ATV use. A vast majority of the NF lands are NOT open to ANY form of off road ATV use.

I do agree that of all the states I've worked from Utah, AZ, MT, WY, CO, NM, etc. that AZ has some of the crappiest (open and legal to drive) roads of any state. An atv would definately save time and save you from beating the snot out of the truck.

The units where I hunt I have called them before hand so I knew which was what. its funny when you talk to them cause they will immediatly say no its not or yes it is then you talk to another employee and get a completely differnt story.

when I shot my elk there was a big sign that said snowmobiles only, there were 4 closed dirt roads going into it. a forrest service guy was crussing down the road and I asked him (cause I knew where I was going to shoot one) if it was ok. he said yup just take the closed dirtroad and if you need to go off the road a few hundred yards its no bigdeal BUt ONLY to retrieve your DOWNED game animal.

this was the same forrest that I got 3 different answers from on the same phonecall.

besides most roads I walk down cause I dont like to drive. ;)

Delw

Back