MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Intermuscular fat?

Addicting

Is there any wild game that has any inter muscle fat?

We are almost exclusively a wild game red meat household. But even with a cow moose in the freezer we still have to buy beef chuck roasts for a good pot roast. Wild game tends to turn out dry or chalky if not done as a medium rare roast. Moose has the right grain structure and is close but I’ve found no substitute for a good old fashioned beef pot roast.

It’s not going to be the same, but save your elk/deer shanks and braise them like you would a lamb shank.

But no, I have yet to find anything from wild game that will replace a good beef chuck roast. We got 1/2 a beef every year and the chuck roast and short ribs are always the first to be eaten.
I smoke lots of pork ribs because the family likes them. Smoked beef short ribs are my favorite. mtmuley

I smoke lots of pork ribs because the family likes them. Smoked beef short ribs are my favorite. mtmuley
If I’ve got a 3 rib plate that’s the
money for smoking. We’ve been doing a lot of braised Korean beef rib stuff lately, and I hate to say it but that my be my new “go-to” on beef ribs. Especially with being able to toss them in an instant-pot in the morning and having dinner done when I get home - tough to beat.

If you live in Texas I am pretty sure that Nilgai have intramuscular fat. They are in the bovine family ( like cows) not the cervid family (deer, elk, etc).

Shoulder, whole or roast…. Smoked then braised is hard to beat. Connective tissue is as close as you’ll get to replicating intramuscular fat in cervids

It’s not going to be the same, but save your elk/deer shanks and braise them like you would a lamb shank.

But no, I have yet to find anything from wild game that will replace a good beef chuck roast. We got 1/2 a beef every year and the chuck roast and short ribs are always the first to be eaten.
All wild game is fine but there's just some things it's not going to compare to.

I prepped a moose roast (courtesy of @Mthuntr ) tonight to throw in the slow cooker in the morning, so I shall see how moose roast turns out.
Grain structure is correct but there is a fine line between soggy and chalky dry.

Best to sear it and do medium rare in the oven. Slow cooker is a great way to ruin a good roast.

so we do roasts, pot roast, style meals with game meat
my Wife cooks it seperate, get's all the fixin's cooked down, then sears the game roast (last was caribou, but works with all of them) and adds it - then cooks it a bit till medium rare

turns out great

caribou roast.jpeg

for one that has the intramuscular fat - I'd use a good fall killed black bear, especially one from North Carolina!! They make a GREAT roast reminiscent of beef

Back