Interesting reaction to the shot

devon deer

I saw this once on Youtube when a guy shot a speed goat, but it was a new one on me.
I shot a hind yesterday, .243 100 grain soft point, she stood bolt upright and 'stretched' out, then commenced to walk!
Only around 6 steps then she fell over dead, when I gralloched her the shot had taken out the top of the heart, it was pretty amazing to see.
Anyone else experienced this?
Cheers
Richard

Have had the exact thing happen with a fallow doe and a 243 with a heart shot a few years ago. One old codger said to me once at times perfectly hit deer won't realise they've been hit until they fall over dead. Dunno about that but I couldn't explain it.

I shot a speed goat right in the heart at 200 yards with a suppressed 260 Rem. He looked up, took a dozen steps, then fell over dead. That same year, I hit a muley the same way but at about 100 yards. He 'stretched' out, took a couple steps and dropped.

Made a "Hail Mary" shot on an antelope running across a sagebrush hillside many years ago and she instantly went from a run to a walk, went in a 10' circle and fell over dead with one through the heart.

Made a "Hail Mary" shot on an antelope running across a sagebrush hillside many years ago and she instantly went from a run to a walk, went in a 10' circle and fell over dead with one through the heart.
+1
e.png

g.png

Shot a buck a few years ago that was following a doe. Once the smoke cleared I saw him standing there then he stated walking again. Thought I saw blood running but too far to tell. He walked over the hill and was gone. Once I got over there I found him collapsed like his legs were cut out from under him neck stretched out. Heart shot.

I have seen this reaction before and it does seem to be specific to Antelope....from my experience...Deer and Elk tend to have the "buck and kick" reaction but Antelope will occasionally stand up on their hind legs...idk..?

I was watching one of Randy's shows awhile back and they shot a buck and it stood straight up on it's hind legs, moved around some and the fell over dead. Not something you see very often.

In my experience, this seems to be the normal reaction for heart shots. I have killed several mule deer with heart shots, all of them reared up like a stallion and then fell over dead. I have also seen Bison who were heart shot, did the same thing. To me and my buddies, the stallion rear up pose has always been a sign of a heart shot.

I had that happen on the longest shot that I have ever taken on an animal. I shot a large cow elk in her bed at 443 yards. She stretched out like that and then stood up. She walked a short way and tipped over.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back