Interesting morning at work

Hilljackoutlaw

So I came across an injured immature bald eagle by the house this morning on my way to work. Called it in to fish and game. After some help from @zpooch fish and game finally had a raptor center lady call me back and asked me if I could capture it. I said....ummmm I guess so. So I did with a little bit of struggle and they had me deliver it to a vet hospital and a lady from a raptor rehab place is gonna pick him up there. Pretty cool birds. Still in awe by the size of the bird. Pics don't do it justice.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20210331-104036.jpg
    VideoCapture_20210331-104036.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 58
  • VideoCapture_20210331-104044.jpg
    VideoCapture_20210331-104044.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 60
  • VideoCapture_20210331-104054.jpg
    VideoCapture_20210331-104054.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 61
  • VideoCapture_20210331-104148.jpg
    VideoCapture_20210331-104148.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
  • 20210331_091921.jpg
    20210331_091921.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 56
  • 20210331_091719.jpg
    20210331_091719.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 52
  • 20210331_091553.jpg
    20210331_091553.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 49
  • 20210331_090613.jpg
    20210331_090613.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 57
So I came across an injured immature bald eagle by the house this morning on my way to work. Called it in to fish and game. After some help from @zpooch fish and game finally had a raptor center lady call me back and asked me if I could capture it. I said....ummmm I guess so. So I did with a little bit of struggle and they had me deliver it to a vet hospital and a lady from a raptor rehab place is gonna pick him up there. Pretty cool birds. Still in awe by the size of the bird. Pics don't do it justice.
Clever equipment. I am going to remember pet cage and a blanket good work and good for you!

Clever equipment. I am going to remember pet cage and a blanket good work and good for you!

Ya great idea with the blanket. I watched a coworker wrangle a red tail hawk with a towel last year. It was a bit of work.

Amazing critters up close. A little unsettling when they're angry though.

Nice job taking the time from your day to do the right thing
good for you 👍

A few years ago we found a sick (lead poisoning) eagle while shed hunting. When the woman at our raptor center asked if we could catch it, I was pretty sure I’d end up with my jugular ripped open. Welding gloves came in handy. Unfortunately this one didn’t recover.

Attachments

• E4782032-36A9-4F15-917F-DF7A16CCA46A.jpeg
    E4782032-36A9-4F15-917F-DF7A16CCA46A.jpeg
    46.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
A couple of months back, the wife and me heard a racket coming from the living room in the middle of the night

The wife investigated and found a barn owl bouncing back and forth across the living room. Apparently, entry was via the fireplace.
She summoned me and I watched the dazed creature going from wall to wall.
I grabbed a hoodie and waited until it crashed into a window and sat dazed. I flipped the hoodie over it and scooped it up.
After a brief inspection, noting no major injuries except pride, I released it outside.

Kudos to you for caring and handling.
Big bird to manage.
I had a Goshawk try and take my head off up in the Crazies one year. Three high speed passes had me booking it the hell out of there.
Was that in big timber canyon just below the twin lakes? Last summer there was one that had a nest there just off the trail and he/she would do high speed passes inches from your head to run you off.

Several years ago I saw what appeared to be an injured bald eagle in the borrow pit on my way home from hunting one day. It was standing right on the edge of the road and didn't budge when I drove by. I thought it was odd so I turned around and made a second slow pass. Still wouldn't move and looked unwell. Peculiar. I called FWP and they told me that its not abnormal for an eagle to over eat on a carcass (evidently roadkill) to the point that they can't fly. Learn something new everyday I guess but in any event it was cool to see one so close.

@geewhiz thats the first thing F&G said to me. But I knew it wasn't right so I investigated further.

Sorry to say that this guy had a broken femur and a shoulder in many pieces. They could not piece him back together and had to euthanize him. Makes me sad. He lives by my house and I was hoping to see him riding the thermals again. With his injuries I assume it had to be a vehicle collision. No happy ending here. 😒

Was that in big timber canyon just below the twin lakes? Last summer there was one that had a nest there just off the trail and he/she would do high speed passes inches from your head to run you off.
Actually it WAS an area adjacent to Big Timber Canyon...skirting through " somewhere" up Crazy Peak. Could be last summers bird is a distant descendant , my incident was 23-24 years ago. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back