Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Insulated camelback hoses?

smalls

Do they help much in keeping the hose from freezing?

The temp was ~5* when I left the truck this morning and my line had frozen both at the bite valve and down in the pack near the bladder within 20 minutes. Generally I try and blow air into the tube between drinks, but inevitably some settles into the valve and freezes.

Or do you guys just go to using bottles in sub-freezing weather.

My experience has been that the insulated tube helps some, but not a lot. I've spent more time than I care to trying to thaw the insulated tubes, when I should have just taken bottles. If I knew it was going to be -5 I'd have went the bottle route.

That was circa (~) 5 degrees... not negative (-) five degrees. Even so, I only expected a low in the high teens, I am glad I had my wool coat with.

The one trick I have used that has helped with a camel back is to put the tube right next to where the backpack hits my back. It heats it up just enough to keep it from freezing. The bad part is you have to dig out the water line each time you want a drink.

Also put some powder Gatorade in there. The added salt will help a little bit

Does that nasty plastic taste ever go away on a Camelback? I bougth one used it 2 times, freaking gross, nasty tasting thing.

That plastic taste makes me want to barf.

I use a Platypus without the the hose. It never tastes like plastic. They are way cheaper than those POS Camelbacks as well. The 2.5 liter one is awesome for early season. The 1 liter ones works awesome cause you can stick them in tighter places in you pack. They are great cause you can squeeze them smaller as they empty as well. They sell a hose attachment that I have never used but have eyeballed.

Insulated camelback hoses

When we used them, we had to fur them out with 2x2s and, more insulation, vapor barrier, then your inside finish. I guess it all depends what part of the country you use them in. Just from my experiance.

If you keep insisting on going out when it is that cold then you may have to think about duct taping your camel pack to your skin and have your body heat keep it thawed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back