"InReach" question

Sorry VikingsGuy and YoungGun but I think Onx is moving away from chips in a hurry, in fact the entire industry is... I will make you a gentleman's bet of $1 that in 2 years onx will spot doing chips completely and that in 5 years no one will make a device that takes a chip, and that in 10 years there will very few standalone GPS navigation devices.

I've got both the chip for my ETrex-30 and the download on my phone, and the phone is obviously a very nice and convenient way to go, but there's something about 30+ hours of battery life from a couple double A's that my smartphone just can't match. And this is coming from a "Millennial." I'd agree with your bet to an extent- I may not be able to buy VHS movies anymore, but I can still buy a player for them. The company's might stop making the chips, and why wouldn't they when they can have a constant revenue stream from a subscription service, but the devices will have ports for the chips for quite some time. I do think Garmin could really open their already strong lead from the competition by doing just that with their inReach.

Anyone ever Download ONX onto a Samsung tablet? Or would anyone know offhand if the Samsung tablets are GPS enabled? The thing is I don't see real well (up close) and the bigger screen would definitley help. 19 years of CAD design work has taken its toll.

I've got both the chip for my ETrex-30 and the download on my phone, and the phone is obviously a very nice and convenient way to go, but there's something about 30+ hours of battery life from a couple double A's that my smartphone just can't match. And this is coming from a "Millennial." I'd agree with your bet to an extent- I may not be able to buy VHS movies anymore, but I can still buy a player for them. The company's might stop making the chips, and why wouldn't they when they can have a constant revenue stream from a subscription service, but the devices will have ports for the chips for quite some time. I do think Garmin could really open their already strong lead from the competition by doing just that with their inReach.

The problem is being able to update. OnX updates there symbology fairly often and their datasets continuously, there is no way chips will ever keep up. I would bet the next model of Garmin Inreach has bluetooth or wifi and they push there data that way. I have an old GPS that still works... and it is convenient. But with my Iphone, portable power supply and a garmini min I have a waterproof setup that will easy go a week between charges and has maps that are updated in real time/each time I go offline... kinda the reason I haven't pulled out the GPS in a few years.

I have the stand alone GPS with a chip. Don't have to worry about airplane modes, Wifi, or battery life. I'm a SmartPhone holdout at 29 years of age haha. I've never been a techie person and have gotten along fine without

I bought the inReach this year for my upcoming elk hunt and I've already used it while salmon fishing in Alaska as well as kayak fishing in Texas where I can't get a cell signal. Using it paired with a phone is the way to go for texting and for the map usage. Similar to others on the thread, I'm using OnX maps on my phone and the inReach for a communication device. The fee is well worth the peace of mind this tool can provide and the battery life is pretty awesome. I wish my iPhone battery life was equivalent.

I have the Delorme SE and leave mine on year round. I do a lot of cross country driving and often don't have cell service and have been able to text home from it for help if I've broken down.

I have the InReach SE and Bluetooth it to my phone through the earthmate app. You can text in the app on your phone like you would a normal text message and it sends through the InReach, so your phone can be on airplane mode and not drain battery searching for service. You can get maps and weather on the app, but to update the weather, it uses one of your messages. I leave mine on all day so my family can track me. I also carry an Etrex 20 with the onX chip and my phone with the onX maps of my area downloaded to it. When needed, I recharge with a solar panel.

Really close to buying one just because of the comments on this thread giving the peace of mind when our of cell service. So if the Garmin connects with my phone and I had it on airplane mode or something to conserve the battery. Would o be able to use them combined and show a map of where I was. Zoom in and look for water etc...???

Really close to buying one just because of the comments on this thread giving the peace of mind when our of cell service. So if the Garmin connects with my phone and I had it on airplane mode or something to conserve the battery. Would o be able to use them combined and show a map of where I was. Zoom in and look for water etc...???

Yes.

Sounds like a great tool. OnX maps sounds great too but I have no clue how that all works leaving me extremely hesitant. I would love to get an inreach, link with my phone and be able to send texts while having access on my phone to maps of my hunting area. Maybe only way to figure it all out is buy one and get onx maps !

Sounds like a great tool. OnX maps sounds great too but I have no clue how that all works leaving me extremely hesitant. I would love to get an inreach, link with my phone and be able to send texts while having access on my phone to maps of my hunting area. Maybe only way to figure it all out is buy one and get onx maps !

It really is a pretty slick setup, and is way less complicated to set up then you would think.

Onx is both a web based product and an app for your phone, when you purchase it comes with access to both. Basically you download the app to your phone and/or visit the website and then just login. The interface on the phone is well designed, there is a blue dot that shows your location on the map similar to google maps and you can turn on and off topo, aerial imagery and a whole host of other layers.

Before you go on your hunt you open the app and click on the "off-grid" icon which allows you to save all of the layers you want to see for a particular area at a particular resolution. Once saved you can view these layers when you are out of service. Your phone uses actually has a built in GPS that it uses for locational services and a then uses cell towers for communication services, so even in airplane mode the "blue dot" your location will show where you are as it doesn't require you to be in contact with cell phone towers.

The garmin mini, is super simple to set up. Basically you turn it on place it outside, go to the garmin inreach website, pick a payment plan, and then activate the device (this takes a bit), once activated you just make sure the bluetooth on your phone is activated and you pair the device to your phone. Then you just text like normal, each text sent via the garmin mini also sends the recipient a GPS location that they can view in google maps on their phone.

I recommend buying a portable battery charger like an anker, all three devices together weight ~18oz.

wllm1313. Thanks! That's a lot of info.
Would I be just as well to buy the in reach mini (to text when I am out of service) and the onx maps on my phone? What would the benefit of getting the inreach explorer plus be??

Back