Inexpesive Optics, Worth It? (Video)

I will say , for those who want good optics but swaroski is out of range. this weekend I got a chance to compare a new pair of vortex razor 8x42 to my twentyish year old Swarovski SLC 10x50s and the vortex actually pulled in more light during the dawn and twilight hours. I was impressed with them.

think one could pick up a new pair somewhere around 11 or 12 hundred maybe less if you watch for sales. I might just buy a pair for a backup
Not sure if comparing light transmission on 8x42 and 10x50 is accurate... seriously no idea, been a while since I took physics in high school.

My BIL and I did go on a scouting trip together and had a pair of vortex razors, swaros, and my $300 Steiner’s all 10x42.

I’d save that $1800 and go on a trip to Alaska to hunt.

I have a few Minox scopes that cost me about $80...both mounted on 12 gauge slug guns. Talk about punishment and they hold zero real well. Definitely a set it and forget it kind of scope so no messing with adjustments but I wouldn't hesitate to put them on an average gun. That being said I don't trust it on an elk gun and be happy with performance in twilight.

Cheap is a negative term thrown around by far to many. When usually what they should say is inexpensive. I buy inexpensive scope's. They do everything I need at a price I can afford. They are not cheap, just inexpensive. I have a scope on my 25-06 that some of these guy's looking down their nose's at probably wouldn't allow in their house. Bushnell Banner 3-9x. Don't recall when I got it, long long time ago. I do suspect it older than some of the people on here and it just keeps working! I like to think of it as an inexpensive scope

Ohhh, i feel ya!
I still have the Swift scope i bought in the 80's. Not great, compared to todays optics, but just plain works.

All this talk reminded me i wanted a new scope for the Rem Mag. Ordered a Sightron 4-12X40 Field Target with the MOA reticle.
$178. Plus i had a $25 coupon. (y)
So i saved $947... :D

lol. I was just pointing out that I liked those binos .pity your so full of envy and hate.

IMO,there is no such thing as a decent $200 dollar pair of binocs and not really much in scopes under $300 either.
I get that some don't have money. nothing wrong with that. for lots of years I had to buy the cheap shit myself.
but you would do better by improving your own situation , then getting angry because I can afford what you cannot.

I pity you for being hateful with envy.
we both know that poor people would buy more expensive things if they could. don't waste your life hating because others have what you wish you had. just go out and work harder for it.

you say I have no sense but it seems I had enough to get what you couldn't.;) 😁

Um, wow. I can afford both but would never stoop to name calling just because I might be in a better economic situation than someone else. Do you know his or her situation ?
He made a valid point.
We have quite a few under $300 scopes and they are just fine, look into some Redfield scopes.
My binos are Swaro's bought at a fraction of the new cost because they were in the bargain cave. Lots of mid prices binos out there that will get you by just fine til you might be able to afford better, or you just choose to spend your money on your family or more appropriate "things" for you.

When Leupold bought out Redfield the CEO made a comment that they were interested in providing a good quality scope for the average person on a budget in the same tradition as the original Redfield brand. They recognized that not everyone has the money for a higher priced quality scope. Some people were just blessed with a different budget and other life commitments. Maybe a career that is more satisfying and less paying. At any rate, I think there is a time that a budget scope is necessary. And I think some work out pretty well.

I had a 6x42 Schmidt and Bender on my .243, but the quarry I was after over the past few months required a scope with a parallax/focus dial to work with a rear add on night vision called a PARD007
The Pard works better with poorer quality optics, so I bought a Hawke, cheap as chips, and no worries using it on a .243
But, I then went deer stalking (obviously not using night vision) I found a deer as light was fading, my S&B would have been clear as a bell, but the Hawke was, er, crap!
I couldn't even make out the shape of the deer, so the old adage you get what you pay for does ring true.

@Mthuntr Minox are great scopes, they use Schott glass, the same as used in Zeiss optics, you picked up a real bargain!

Cheers

Richard

When Leupold bought out Redfield the CEO made a comment that they were interested in providing a good quality scope for the average person on a budget in the same tradition as the original Redfield brand. They recognized that not everyone has the money for a higher priced quality scope. Some people were just blessed with a different budget and other life commitments. Maybe a career that is more satisfying and less paying. At any rate, I think there is a time that a budget scope is necessary. And I think some work out pretty well.
I bought one of the Redfield Revenge 4-12X40 Accu-Ranger Varmint.
Essentially a BDC scope that has hash marks to "range" with the zoom.
Was a huge improovement over my previous scopes!
Liked it enough to buy a second.
One on my Stevens 200 in 250 Savage.
The second on my Ruger 77 MKII in 280 Rem.
Kinda nice to be able to hunt everything from gophers, coyotes, deer, elk and leave the rangefinder at home.

Ok, got my new Sightron Field Target 4-12X40 MOA delivered to work today. ( i may have forgotten to mention about it to the wife)
Going on the Savage 111 in 7mm Rem Mag tomorrow.

And no, i'm NOT going to test it per the videos! Lol

lol. I was just pointing out that I liked those binos .pity your so full of envy and hate.

IMO,there is no such thing as a decent $200 dollar pair of binocs and not really much in scopes under $300 either.
I get that some don't have money. nothing wrong with that. for lots of years I had to buy the cheap shit myself.
but you would do better by improving your own situation , then getting angry because I can afford what you cannot.

I pity you for being hateful with envy.
we both know that poor people would buy more expensive things if they could. don't waste your life hating because others have what you wish you had. just go out and work harder for it.

you say I have no sense but it seems I had enough to get what you couldn't.;) 😁
Wow. 🙄

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back