Indiana gun opener

So I had a great hunt down in JP.

Found a bunch of scrapes and rubs. Passed a small 6 pointer at 20 yards around 10am cruising through the woods. I was fortunate enough to take a doe and 5 pointer in the reduction zone last week.

I decided to check a lake out and when I got to it was dry, filled with waist high grasses. I thought to myself it would be cool to jump a buck out of there.

As I stepped out of the woods I looked across and looking at me is a massive buck. I can see his head and antlers. I am carrying a peep sighted 44 mag Marlin, dead on at 100. I know that it had the trajectory of a brick past 100. I slowly start to walk right at him across the grass. At 170 yards ( I was counting steps) he stands up. Oh boy. Figuring it was now or never I pulled up and put the peep in line with his ears elevation wise above his shoulder and squeezed. No reaction. Now the doe he had bedded down must have heard the big old hardcast hit the dirt or fly by and she decided it was time to head to safer pastures and when she took off he took off with her.

I took two more steps and another buck jumped up and took off.

Hindsight is always 20/20 and I should have just kept walking until I closed the distance. The wind was right, and he probably would not have left until the doe left and she had no idea as she was laying in the grass. Oh well that is why they call it hunting. I had to get home for my daughters volley ball camp so I made the mile walk back to the truck still hunting the entire time. For being public land I only saw one other hunter the entire day and that was at 7 am as he was walking around like a lost puppy in circles. Once he wandered off I never saw another spot of orange. Just under 3 miles walked/stalked for the day. Great day in the woods.

I took part in a CHAP/reduction hunt at Griffy Lake near Bloomington. Took a doe and small buck on Saturday and a doe on Sunday after the snow blew through. I think a total of 17 deer were taken out there by around 40 hunters.

Now you didn't post yours don't leave them in suspense😜
Lil ugly went up in my thread....here he is again. This is what when you only see one smooth side.... :/ At least he is out of the gene pool and we know that Simo is right on. ;)

Attachments

• 20211113_130231.jpg
    20211113_130231.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 10
  • 20211113_130150.jpg
    20211113_130150.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 10
Back