Incredible elk experience

Sagebrush1

I’m not an archery hunter, (or much good at elk hunting in general,ha) so I don’t spend much time really getting after rutting elk. This week, however, I’m tagging along with a buddy hunting archery.

Holy cow! We spent yesterday morning in the midst of screaming, thrashing, rutting bulls. Bugles firing off from all directions, cows and calves singing all around. Crashing through brush and breaking branches. It was so dang impressive.

We split up yesterday morning (he’s a “hike fast to the top of every mountain” guy, and I’m a “quiet and still is the way” guy…plus I didn’t want to hike up yet another mountain 😂) and I snuck around and found a litt wallow underneath where I was hearing the bulls. The wind was perfect, and I tucked myself in a little Gamble’s oak to wait.

During the course of the morning I had
- a 330ish 6 point standing at 25 yards screaming in my face every time I made a cow call for like 5 minutes!

- that same bull then moved uphill to about 60 yards and spent probably 20 minutes bugling back and forth with another couple bulls. All within sight.

- a satellite 5-point came in and walked to the wallow right in front of me. He stood around nervously for a minute, then sauntered off uphill.

- a small group of cows and calves walked right in talking the whole way.

I’m pretty sure this is about as good as it ets during a rut hunt, and I figure I’d be hard pressed to top it.

I just had to share because I was so impressed by the whole thing.

Not to derail, but I’m in total accordance with @Jim Anderson ! It’s been the funnest day of elk hunting I’ve ever had today, and i worked a half day!? Haha! Had two spikes, one real tall and split, at 80 and 40 yards, respectively. Then, called a cow in to about 12 feet. 😂 the bulls didn’t really get crazy until that sun was all but down, but dang, it was just like the youtoobs 😂🤣

So cool - thanks for sharing! My family and I went for a little drive last night to an area that is loaded with elk - the rut was in fully swing! Bulls bugling and fighting in every canyon we looked at. It’s a special time of year!

I’m not an archery hunter, (or much good at elk hunting in general,ha) so I don’t spend much time really getting after rutting elk. This week, however, I’m tagging along with a buddy hunting archery.

Holy cow! We spent yesterday morning in the midst of screaming, thrashing, rutting bulls. Bugles firing off from all directions, cows and calves singing all around. Crashing through brush and breaking branches. It was so dang impressive.

We split up yesterday morning (he’s a “hike fast to the top of every mountain” guy, and I’m a “quiet and still is the way” guy…plus I didn’t want to hike up yet another mountain 😂) and I snuck around and found a litt wallow underneath where I was hearing the bulls. The wind was perfect, and I tucked myself in a little Gamble’s oak to wait.

During the course of the morning I had
- a 330ish 6 point standing at 25 yards screaming in my face every time I made a cow call for like 5 minutes!

- that same bull then moved uphill to about 60 yards and spent probably 20 minutes bugling back and forth with another couple bulls. All within sight.

- a satellite 5-point came in and walked to the wallow right in front of me. He stood around nervously for a minute, then sauntered off uphill.

- a small group of cows and calves walked right in talking the whole way.

I’m pretty sure this is about as good as it ets during a rut hunt, and I figure I’d be hard pressed to top it.

I just had to share because I was so impressed by the whole thing.
What unit was this

Back