In the news

I recall Moosie shooting a giraffe. If you are shooting a animal in Africa, of course it is trophy animal. I was puzzled when she said it was delicious. Did she get a taste in Africa.

A giraffe is one animal I would not shoot. Personal preference. I have not a problem. Hard to defend against the media.

I just do not see a giraffe as a Trophy. They look better on the hoof.

Correction: "The one plate of giraffe I had that night was delicious" 😄

We all have our standards, I personally would shoot a giraffe before a bear.

I recall Moosie shooting a giraffe. If you are shooting a animal in Africa, of course it is trophy animal. I was puzzled when she said it was delicious. Did she get a taste in Africa.

A giraffe is one animal I would not shoot. Personal preference. I have not a problem. Hard to defend against the media.

I just do not see a giraffe as a Trophy. They look better on the hoof.

Another Cecil? Perhaps.
Another future Kendall Jones? Perhaps.

I really hate seeing this stuff continue. The subject of African trophy hunting has been beaten worse than a horse at glue factory. People are going to be up in arms about it no matter what at this point. And she could've killed the giraffe in 10X10 fence or a wilderness area for all we know. The worst thing possible though is for a hunter to go on the national spotlight and say, "...I'm not a conservationist, I'm a hunter". Not a good thing to say if your trying to defend hunting.

The interview was extremely poor. And if I were someone on the fence, I don't see anything convincing in that interview that would change my mind to favor the activity. In fact, it would push me in the other direction. From what I've seen, the only hunters outside of actual biologists/ecologists that have had any positive effect talking about these issues publicly are Randy Newberg and Steve Rinella. Not many others have the knowledge or the quick-thinking abilities - especially this lady. The hunting community has very few opportunities in the spotlight such as this to really educate people; and its extremely frustrating watching people tank it.

Another person that did a good job on the topic was Corey Knowlton a few years ago on the Radio Lab podcast. That is worth listening to.

Interesting reminder on the eve of my taking my son and son-in-law to South Africa hunting in a week. Nothing exotic, plains game only, but I will remind them both it is best to keep the pictures amongst close friends and family and avoid Twitter, Facebook and Instagram (but I will sneak in a least a few pics onto Hunttalk :)). As for eating, I am told that each night dinner will include the tenderloins from the animals we shot that day (or the day before). I will pass on any warthog but have added ostrich to the list for just this reason.

A lot of reasons to shoot things. Food, predator control and population control so ecosystem does not collapse. Giraffes may be similar to elephants where if the natural 4-legged predators are in short supply and yet there is plenty of shelter and food then populations will grow and sometimes overshoot the carrying capacity of the land. Only a few animals I would and do shoot, though, as we all have our preferences.

Interesting reminder on the eve of my taking my son and son-in-law to South Africa hunting in a week. Nothing exotic, plains game only, but I will remind them both it is best to keep the pictures amongst close friends and family and avoid Twitter, Facebook and Instagram (but I will sneak in a least a few pics onto Hunttalk :)). As for eating, I am told that each night dinner will include the tenderloins from the animals we shot that day (or the day before). I will pass on any warthog but have added ostrich to the list for just this reason.

My dad made sure to not pass on warthog when the opportunity arose.

I wish I was older when we lived in Kenya. Lots of what was happening around me was lost on an oblivious pre-teen.

The whole thing has quieted down so I am not sure this is coming up again, not sure it helps the hunting community at all. To me I just looked at it as she was looking for the spotlight again

like others I was disappointed in her response. She had the spotlight, what a perfect time to properly explain. --it was not an extinct black giraffe, it was old and they turn darker with age, it is important to manage their numbers so that the remaining animals will have enough foliage to stay healthy, and the money she paid helps fund the ongoing battle against poachers, as well as the bulk of the meat goes to local tribes, who need the protein and put in simpler terms, food to eat, is welcomed by them. This would have been way more important to me, than pictures of pillows, etc. Maybe a picture of her eating with the local villagers and them thanking her for the meat, and then stating--the meat was very good-------I am not a public relation person or as smart a many of you fellows, but IMHO this would have been a smarter way to go

No kind of PR platform can make antis understand how these types of hunts can help conservation or help locals. Its wasted breath and we shouldn't even give any outlet the time of day to talk about it. They dont need or deserve an explanation from anyone who does this kind if hunt.

Also, not trying to dog on that gal who shot the giraffe, but she said pulling the trigger is the hardest part of the hunt and that kinda shows how detached she is. Pulling the trigger isn’t harder than sitting in a deer stand in late November, it’s not harder than hiking a mile back to a slough with a decoy bag that hits the back of your calves every step. It sure as hell isnt harder than writing a check out for whatever it costs to shoot a giraffe would be.

I don't take any issue with the lady who was interviewed - she seemed genuine/honest. Liberal news media is generally not going to interview someone who is uniquely articulate about conservation - they're going to find a way to make an interview on this subject fuel anti-hunting sentiment, because it is divisive and boosts viewership.

Personally, I have spent a good amount of time among wild giraffes. I wouldn't have much fun hunting them based on how easy they are to locate, and their generally docile nature, but I don't have any objection with those who do.

Most people's experience with the species is seeing them at zoos - they are unique, iconic, and friendly. A picture of a hunter slain giraffe rubs the wrong way against people's experience of seeing them gently plod around in a pen and eat out of their hands. It would similar to seeing a hunter posed over a horse he or she had shot, and then not really be able to convincingly explain the rationale behind doing so.

I have never understood why so many hunters in the USA are against or have no desire to hunt in Africa? Envy maybe? Even Rinellas crew is not very supportive of hunting in Africa.

I have never understood why so many hunters in the USA are against or have no desire to hunt in Africa? Envy maybe? Even Rinellas crew is not very supportive of hunting in Africa.
Personally, I can't see myself spending the cash. Plus, it's entirely a "trophy hunt" in that I don't go home with meat. I did a small scale version in the U.K. for my Roe deer hunt but consider that a lot different than Africa. But if anyone else wants to do it, more power to them.

Personally, I can't see myself spending the cash. Plus, it's entirely a "trophy hunt" in that I don't go home with meat. I did a small scale version in the U.K. for my Roe deer hunt but consider that a lot different than Africa. But if anyone else wants to do it, more power to them.
Totally agree mate. I hope to spend the cash on an African hunt some day, but if others don’t want to then that’s fine, but please don’t advocate against it.

I do find it strange though guys will post pics on here of a whole family of hogs shot in one sitting and get congratulated, but when someone posts a pic of a whole family of baboons shot, outrage ensues.

I do find it strange though guys will post pics on here of a whole family of hogs shot in one sitting and get congratulated, but when someone posts a pic of a whole family of baboons shot, outrage ensues.

I know they are a-holes but are baboons a noxious invasive like feral hogs?

Envy of what? I have zero desire to go around Africa and essentially use animals as expensive targets. I don’t hate on it but let’s not make African trophy hunting into something it’s not.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back