In the market for a range finder.

ZMT588

Looking to spend around 300 bucks for a new range finder. What are you guys recommending? I was hoping for a sig kilo 2000 but they seem to be out of production now. Not opposed to other brands. Price may vary a bit.

I have a Sig and love it. But if it’s out of production that doesn’t help much. I’m not much of a Vortex guy but they extend their lifetime warranty to the rangefinders unlike some brands so you’ll never have to buy one again which is nice. Also I just got an email from Maven two days ago and they just released their first RF. It’s brand new and I don’t know anything about it but they also have a lifetime warranty. I will say if you can afford it spring for a model with the red colored lighted numbers. It has a name but I can’t remember what it is. It makes so much difference in the low light conditions and is worth the extra money.

I have a Sig 1000 that kicks ass. Way better than anything in that price range from Leupold

My Sig Kilo 2000 failed during a hunt. It would read random ranges under all circumstances regardless of the distance or target. My hunting partners Sig Kilo failed during a hunt the following season. Virtually identical failure. Both were under warranty and were replaced by Sig.

I previously owned a Leica 1600b. It functioned flawlessly during the time I owned it. It’s somewhere in the brush of North Idaho....

I personally would not purchase another Sig.

My vortex sucked, died all the time. My sig has been stellar. But sounds like if you can swing it, Leica is the way to go.

I got a sig kilo 2000 on clearance when they were discontinuing that model and love it. Talked a buddy into a sig also (can’t remember the model) but he really likes his as well. Before that he had a vortex and wasn’t impressed. I used to have a Nikon and didn’t care for it much. I’ll also say anyone I know who has a Leica hasn’t ever said a negative thing about them. Between the two I don’t think you’d be disappointed

Between my sons and I, we've had quite a few different rangefinders. The ones that have worked were both a Vortex Ranger and a Sig Kilo 2000. I currently have a Vortex Razor (probably not in the price range you stated) that has been very impressive, as well as my Leica. I was disappointed when my Leupold's had a problem and I found out that the Leupold warranty had expired on electronics. I would say Vortex has them beat in that regard.

Was thinking of upgradeing.
I've had a Vortex 1000 for last 10 years.Decent,has a bounce to it, like the red led,never failed,so far. Cannot read an elk @ 800-900yrds.
I guess I'll look for a deal on a Sig ,with good reviews or a used Leica.
Heard mixed opines on Leupold RF's.

Figured I would piggyback on this thread and ask also what are the must have features? Angle compensation seems to make a lot of sense. But how about all the ballistic stuff? What do you all think are the things that are a must have for range finder, ignoring price at this point in the discsusion. Thanks Pete

Big Leica fan, should be able to get one lightly used in your price range. I found having a range finder harness with lead on my bino harness is best to prevent dropping or misplacing. I use marsupial gear harness system and love it too.

Figured I would piggyback on this thread and ask also what are the must have features? Angle compensation seems to make a lot of sense. But how about all the ballistic stuff? What do you all think are the things that are a must have for range finder, ignoring price at this point in the discsusion. Thanks Pete
Reliable readings on a variety of target types (they all say they're reliable), capability lots farther than you'll ever shoot, sized to your preference for where you're going to store it while walking around, true ballistic distance and a nicely visible readout are handy icing on the cake. Unless it's REALLY steep, or REALLY far, angle doesn't matter much. It's a feature I've found useful personally.

How quickly it reads or in other words how long you have to hold the button. My nikon is a quick push my vortex is a long hold. Father out smaller target harder to hold the vortex on target

Trying to find deal on a Leica 1600b-2400 now. Don't want all the electronic bluetooth stuff on the new ones really.Just want to be able to read to 1000 yards for real and be clear & precise @ 500yrds & IN for shooting in real life. I trust my Zeiss scope and want a rangefinder that reflects reality. I believe in angle compensation too.................

I’m looking to upgrade too. Looked at a Leica at sportsman’s, but the worker bee didn’t know anything about them. For you Leica guys, can you adjust the display brightness and how weatherproof are they?

Auto adjusting led & fully waterproof according to all the recent optic reviews I watched on YT. Full Leica coatings & glass.
Also I found some deals on 2400b. 1600b would be enough for me, but for same price it's a no brainer.

Only complaint I have heard about Leica is the way and time that angled ranges read out. Otherwise I would have bought one months ago. I found a good deal on a Kilo 2200 BDX and went that way.

I sprang for a Leica about 2004 or 5 best I can recall. I have used it often and in wet, hot , cold and hot dusty conditions. I put a new battery in it every November and take the old out in March. Its never failed me and if and when I get another I will look at whats available but lean strongly toward a Leica.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back