Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

In the House Chamber today

It’s funny, as someone who used to work in the private sector contracting with the feds and now with state DOT’s I’m not allowed to do so much as buy a coffee for or give a pen to public employees.
Legislators >>> public employees. Rules for thee not for me. Best example is the bill introduced to allow MT state legislators to get federal per diem amounts. State employees get a fraction of that for per diem and most legislators never pay for their own meals anyway. Wined and dined all session long. Wouldn’t be surprised if the cups were full of cash when they were given away.

Legislators >>> public employees. Rules for thee not for me. Best example is the bill introduced to allow MT state legislators to get federal per diem amounts. State employees get a fraction of that for per diem and most legislators never pay for their own meals anyway. Wined and dined all session long. Wouldn’t be surprised if the cups were full of cash when they were given away.
They were empty but your point is not lost.

lol imagine being the kind of person that would let a tumbler sway your vote...

This. Many corporations & groups do this kind of thing as a way to let you know they exist. The gift limit per legislator is $50. These tumblers are likely well below that.

A citizen legislature is the worst way to get rich, unless you understand the appropriations process in fine detail and figure out how to bend that to your will.

This. Many corporations & groups do this kind of thing as a way to let you know they exist. The gift limit per legislator is $50. These tumblers are likely well below that.

A citizen legislature is the worst way to get rich, unless you understand the appropriations process in fine detail and figure out how to bend that to your will.
I agree, while in office. But in big states and at fed level, lots of ways to use knowledge and relationships gained while serving to cash in quite handsomely (legally).

Given the control wielded by party leadership and the nearly lockstep voting patterns of modern legislators, bribery just isn’t a big risk. Adherence to ideology, not backroom handouts, drive politics in 2023. In a strange way, it is actually proving more dangerous to our democracy than the old smoke filled room days.

A couple of take aways from the day and keep in mind this was a high school field trip which sort of opened up some of the legislators we talked to....

A) One legislator said that there is a special interest event every night of the week during the session but he and his wife would usually review the week's calendar, picking/attending just one that interested them. Last night's event was at the Delta Hotel by Marriott (swankiest hotel in Helena) and put on by two timber groups. I didn't realize that the nightly calendar was THAT full.

B) When you use the online form to provide your opinion on a bill, each one gets printed on a "blue sheet" which looks more like a large note card. Those are distributed to each legislator's desk in their respective chamber. There were between 50 and 100 blue sheets at each desk I saw. When I asked one legislator how he digests so much input, he said he only has time to read those from his constituents. That however is hard to tell when you're from one of the larger cities that has multiple district lines. So if you're from Bozeman, as an example, hit all the legislators in Bozeman even if they're not in your district.

C} One legislator told the kids anytime someone writes in with a position on a bill with a derogatory first sentence, it's immediately discounted and usually disregarded. I laughed, thinking of all the advice Ben gives on HuntTalk about being courteous.

D) last one, personal observation. The MOGA cups served as a reminder as to what a well funded special interest group looks like to a legislator. I always wonder if our wildlife groups are too fragmented to be financially effective in Helena, but I don't know what MWF, BHA or other groups look like behind the scenes with etched mugs or events at the Delta. I do however believe that what Ben is doing in Helena is invaluable and comparatively, likely underfunded for the game.

I agree, while in office. But in big states and at fed level, lots of ways to use knowledge and relationships gained while serving to cash in quite handsomely (legally).

Given the control wielded by party leadership and the nearly lockstep voting patterns of modern legislators, bribery just isn’t a big risk. Adherence to ideology, not backroom handouts, drive politics in 2023. In a strange way, it is actually proving more dangerous to our democracy than the old smoke filled room days.

The transition from legislator to lobbyist happens everywhere. In MT, it's a mixed bag. There are some that have made it successfully and they do ok by choosing their clients well. I've seen one get run out of the building by.lobbyists whom he treated poorly, and by legislators whom he sabatoged bills for. I've seen others be successful & help clients navigate the process. Ultimately, this is where term limits fails the voters: it places the vast.amount of institutional knowledge in the hands of lobbyists rather than elected officials.

Fun note, I've only seen two lobbyists flip to legislators. Both are on appropriations & both are wicked smart. One is exercising his long-standing beefs with the executive branch agencies and it's been interesting to watch.

The smokey back room was a good system, but only if you were in the room.

A couple of take aways from the day and keep in mind this was a high school field trip which sort of opened up some of the legislators we talked to....

A) One legislator said that there is a special interest event every night of the week during the session but he and his wife would usually review the week's calendar, picking/attending just one that interested them. Last night's event was at the Delta Hotel by Marriott (swankiest hotel in Helena) and put on by two timber groups. I didn't realize that the nightly calendar was THAT full.

B) When you use the online form to provide your opinion on a bill, each one gets printed on a "blue sheet" which looks more like a large note card. Those are distributed to each legislator's desk in their respective chamber. There were between 50 and 100 blue sheets at each desk I saw. When I asked one legislator how he digests so much input, he said he only has time to read those from his constituents. That however is hard to tell when you're from one of the larger cities that has multiple district lines. So if you're from Bozeman, as an example, hit all the legislators in Bozeman even if they're not in your district.

C} One legislator told the kids anytime someone writes in with a position on a bill with a derogatory first sentence, it's immediately discounted and usually disregarded. I laughed, thinking of all the advice Ben gives on HuntTalk about being courteous.

D) last one, personal observation. The MOGA cups served as a reminder as to what a well funded special interest group looks like to a legislator. I always wonder if our wildlife groups are too fragmented to be financially effective in Helena, but I don't know what MWF, BHA or other groups look like behind the scenes with etched mugs or events at the Delta. I do however believe that what Ben is doing in Helena is invaluable and comparatively, likely underfunded for the game.

Every conservation lobbyist ever, every day:

giphy (16).gif

The transition from legislator to lobbyist happens everywhere. In MT, it's a mixed bag. There are some that have made it successfully and they do ok by choosing their clients well. I've seen one get run out of the building by.lobbyists whom he treated poorly, and by legislators whom he sabatoged bills for. I've seen others be successful & help clients navigate the process. Ultimately, this is where term limits fails the voters: it places the vast.amount of institutional knowledge in the hands of lobbyists rather than elected officials.

Fun note, I've only seen two lobbyists flip to legislators. Both are on appropriations & both are wicked smart. One is exercising his long-standing beefs with the executive branch agencies and it's been interesting to watch.

The smokey back room was a good system, but only if you were in the room.
I absolutely agree about the practical effect of term limits. A “solution” offered by folks that don’t understand how the game is really played.

It is often the fact that the only two people in the chamber who actually understand the real world effects of proposed legislation are the lobbyists from opposing sides.

I absolutely agree about the practical effect of term limits. A “solution” offered by folks that don’t understand how the game is really played.

It is often the fact that the only two people in the chamber who actually understand the real world effects of proposed legislation are the lobbyists from opposing sides.
Ben for Governor!!!

Our local rep posts a recap of his experiences every week on FB. Super informative and super discouraging at the same time. So much party line BS and whips telling them how to vote even as he admits that his constituents were overwhelming him to vote the opposite. Best line was when he talked about having to buy his own lunch for the first time. 45 days into the session.

Back