Important changes for NR hunters in Idaho for 2020 - read and follow the links.

44hunter45

Idaho is capping the percentage of NR hunters in a number of deer and elk units beginning in 2021.
Idaho NR Deer and Elk tags for 2021 go on sale Dec 1st, 2020.
These changes will result in earlier sellouts than last year.
NR hunters interested in Idaho should read the linked article and follow all the links in the article regarding the limits in each specific Zone and GMU.

Having to pick a specific GMU sure puts a kink in plans for my daughter deer hunting in Idaho. Last weekend, I canceled our flight west for a Thanksgiving deer hunt due to COVID concerns. I had not paid any attention to the proposed changes except for the increased tag/license fees, and my plan was that we would just head out next year to hunt between a farm in one unit and another farm in a different unit 20 miles away.

Now, I have to decide which unit to hunt - the one where we can be eating lunch at the kitchen table and possibly see a buck crossing the field or the one where my brother and a friend have a “hit list” for my daughter.

Last edited:
It would have been nice if they lumped the units together like the elk zones so you can hunt adjoining units. I hunt Whitetail every November with my non-res Dad + some others & where we camp and hunt is right in the middle of two units.

no to hijack, necessarily

how does this process necessarily work for the NR?

do i need to buy my hunting license before this coming Dec 1? or do i buy my "receipt" on december 1 if i'm lucky enough to grab one before they sell out, and then i can pick up my hunting license later?

i'm looking into going to idaho next fall for the first time. some things seem simple enough, but a little confusion here and there. i'm only looking at deer though

is it pretty lucky to get the general deer unit your looking for? or is it not the chaotic mad dash i'm imagining?

i'm kinda imagining leftover day in colorado when it comes to general tags in idaho. it's all i know that would seem similar.

I’m not sure anyone can say how long some deer tags will be available. This will be the first year that non resident deer tags will be unit specific and on individual unit quotas. I suspect some will sell fairly quick and there may be others that don’t sell at all or sell really late and someone plays dumb and uses the tag where it isn’t valid

Someone mentioned this should spread hunter numbers out within the state?

Am I missing something on the Idaho website?
The big game hunting brochure is for 2020. The Hunt Planner only shows 2020 hunts/tags.
NR Licenses availability show what's left for 2021 but it doesn't give you any additional information (ie: season dates).
Proposals for 21/22 are able to be viewed.

Where's all the info for 2021? I assume it was available somewhere before people applied Dec 1 2020 for 2021 tags.

For example, I go to the website, Licenses tab at the top, Non Resident General Season Deer and Elk Tags Available, View 2021 Elk Tag Limits by Elk Zones, Remaining Tags - Palouse B Tag, -- no 2021 information, all 2020 or older information, and the "please verify the tag dates, species, and restrictions" refers you to the 2020 brochure.

I'm confused.

The big game hunting brochure is for 2020. The Hunt Planner only shows 2020 hunts/tags.
NR Licenses availability show what's left for 2021 but it doesn't give you any additional information (ie: season dates).

Where's all the info for 2021? I assume it was available somewhere before people applied Dec 1 2020 for 2021 tags.

For example, I go to the website, Licenses tab at the top, Non Resident General Season Deer and Elk Tags Available, View 2021 Elk Tag Limits by Elk Zones, Remaining Tags - Palouse B Tag, -- no 2021 information, all 2020 or older information, and the "please verify the tag dates, species, and restrictions" refers you to the 2020 brochure.

I'm confused.
The official regulations will come out in about a month probably. They are just finishing up the public comment on all of the proposed changes for big game. Some things will change a little bit, but they sell all of the nonresident tags in December based off last year's regs.

Thanks for responding. So what happens when somebody buys a tag based on last years regulations and then the regulations change for that tag this year? If it doesn't work for the hunter are they SOL and return their tag?

I'm confused.

No, a holder of a valid tag will not ever be "SOL".

Keep watching the website. The first edition 2021 Big Game regs will show up. Anyone who was actually able to buy a tag in the feeding frenzy Dec 1st 2020 bought an OTC tag.

The draw hunts (Idaho calls them Controlled Hunts) application period for deer, elk, fall black bear, and pronghorn opens May 1st.

Many who bought those OTC tags will apply for, and draw, Controlled Hunt tags. Their OTC tags will go back in the pool. Other OTC tag holders will not be able to hunt for whatever reason and may return their tags for a refund minus a $3 service fee. Those also go back in the pool. Finally, unused outfitter allotment tags get returned to the OTC pool in late summer.

These tags are in high demand and the truth is you are about three months late. It it pretty much true in any western state that you have to plan far ahead. It is hard to jump in at the last minute.

Stick close to the website around the close of the application period (June 5th). That is when those who draw will start returning their tags to the pool.
The next event is the Second Controlled hunt drawing in August. There may be some who drew that return their OTC tags to the pool. Any Controlled Hunt tags not drawn in the second draw are sold OTC August 22nd. They will be gone in 60 seconds.

At this point the best option is to subscribe to the IDFG news releases. They announce in advance when a block of tags is going back to the pool. Those get grabbed first come first served.

Thanks. I get all that and am not looking to hunt Idaho in 2021. Planning ahead obviously includes knowing how to use the system. What I'm not understanding is why are 2021 OTC tags being sold in December 2020 without having the 2021 regulations. Doesn't a hunter need the regulations to plan a hunt?

So these remaining Palouse B Tags. Looks like a hunter could try and buy one today. Say the 2021 regulations come out next month and the dates, or species, or weapon has changed and the hunter can't go. Isn't that hunter SOL?

Thanks. I get all that and am not looking to hunt Idaho in 2021. Planning ahead obviously includes knowing how to use the system. What I'm not understanding is why are 2021 OTC tags being sold in December 2020 without having the 2021 regulations. Doesn't a hunter need the regulations to plan a hunt?

So these remaining Palouse B Tags. Looks like a hunter could try and buy one today. Say the 2021 regulations come out next month and the dates, or species, or weapon has changed and the hunter can't go. Isn't that hunter SOL?

Very unlikely for there to be that drastic of changes on general tags. Looking at the Panhandle and Clearwater region proposed regs are some changes to days related to mule deer in the Panhandle and regular vs. whitetail deer tags in some Clearwater units.

Very unlikely for there to be that drastic of changes on general tags. Looking at the Panhandle and Clearwater region proposed regs are some changes to days related to mule deer in the Panhandle and regular vs. whitetail deer tags in some Clearwater units.
Do the proposed changes come out before the Dec 1 General Tag buying frenzy?

Idaho big game regs are on a two year update cycle so realistically it’s only a possible issue every other year. This was the first year there was ever a crazy day 1 buying frenzy/panic. All that said typically general season changes are very minor so not tons of risk; outside of someone buying something and just not understanding what they bought to begin with.

Do the proposed changes come out before the Dec 1 General Tag buying frenzy?

No, but they do update quotas (massive NR changes for 2021) before the Dec 1 tag buying. They just aren't going to be changing the dates, weapons, or species by much. This past year was the first year there was a statewide frenzy. Going forward certain areas will continue sell out fast, and I would bet all tags will still sell out by summer. But I am sure some of the tags will be available for at least a couple months that were gone in days or a weeks for this year.

The main things they are changing are controlled hunts and antlerless opportunity. And this year if you planned to go to Unit 1 to hunt mule deer the third week of Nov, you'll just have to hunt whitetails. When 96%+ of the harvest is already whitetails, the hunters affected by this change are minimal.

Ok thanks for the info. I was getting ready to say "what about Unit 1 mule deer" but you were already thinking the same.

Everyone needs to be honest about the price point vs their expectation.

There is a reason the unsold tags survived the Dec 1st frenzy. It may be fewer animals, fewer mature bucks and bulls, or hard to access, not a lot of public ground, etc. If you expect a "quality" hunt experience, these tags may not be for you.

If you want to come to Idaho and have a great time, and MAYBE get a chance at a deer or elk, and the price of the license and tag does not stress you, come on. If you are worried about how much you spent for ticks & licks, your chances of an enjoyable trip are less.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back