I'm hooked!

Kentucky Jack

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 2, 2022
Messages
114
Location
Kentucky
First I would like to thank this forum and many of you for all the information and shared knowledge of helping me getting started planning and applying 5 years ago until now. I have always dreamed of hunting in the west and the many different animals that personifies the American west. Ever since as a kid watching Jeremiah Johnson i have wanted to hunt out west. This year I took a small step in that direction. Finally after 5 years of applying and learning along the way I drew a second choice tag in northeast Wyoming. Though many don't consider this a desirable area or tag, it was a tag nonetheless and I was thrilled to go no matter what the outcome would be. Finally after hrs of e-scouting, talks on the phone with the biologist and game warden I made the 23 hrs drive to my hunt area. Spent the day before season scouting and dropping pins. Opening day started out great with me stalking into 150 yds of a nice buck only to realize he was 1 or steps across the fence on private. He eventually walked away further onto private and out if site. I made my way to a good gassing spot to discover no matter what I classed up, other hunters would spot from the road and chase them further into private. Seeing more hunters than pronghorn I decided at noon to ditch the big piece of public and focus on smaller pieces. I finally found a small piece of public of the beaten path that was only accessible from multiple small county roads from only one direction. As soon as I started looking over this small piece I noticed a cattle gap with only 3 strands of barb wire and tons of tracks going under it. About 20 minutes later I was able to find and close the distance to 130 yds on my first pronghorn buck. I couldn't be happier. I'm pretty sure I drove the 23 hrs back home on pure adrenaline only stopping for gas. Needless to say I can't wait to draw another tag and get back out in what I consider the most beautiful country In America.
1000011340.jpg20261001_153209.jpg20261001_155444.jpg20261001_170001.jpg
 
There are 3 places to hunt antelope, Wyoming, Wyoming and Wyoming. I used to live there, hunted antelope like it would never end. Back then buck tags for my home unit were so easy to get and late season doe tags were dealt out like a hand of poker cards.

If you wanted to hunt my old unit, I would give you VERY specific directions to my sweet spots.

I will 79 soon, live far away now and will not be returning ever to hunt there. You seem like a fine fellow and I would enjoy passing on my sweet spots.

Mustangs Rule.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
120,180
Messages
2,252,551
Members
39,107
Latest member
wkshaw
Back
Top