MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Illinois advice?

Bigbucky

Any good men or women have any outstanding advice for a Newbie hunting Illinois?

thanks,

BB

I miss that part of IL. The normal people who hunt rather than the ones who try to steal your truck at a college campus in Cicero. The public lands there are so underrated it’s insane.

My only regret before leaving the Midwest is not tagging a Midwest whitetail. That one haunts me more than anything. That phantom in Iowa crosses my mind from time to time.

Toughest thing about any midwest hunting is getting good property to hunt. Then it usually takes a couple years to figure out the best stand locations, wind directions, etc.
I own a couple farms and lease some ground in southern IL and have hunted the area for over 25 years. There is pretty good deer hunting in my backyard and home state of IN but I've found the top end quality of bucks to be a bit better in IL, probably largely due to the way they structure firearms hunting -vs- IN. IN is a one buck state, so it's nice to hunt a neighboring state and be able to pick up another. I jump back and forth all season.

Best advice I could give you is to spend as much time on stand as possible from Halloween thru Thanksgiving.
Good luck and ask away if you have anything specific.

Back