Yeti GOBOX Collection

Illinois advice?

Toughest thing about any midwest hunting is getting good property to hunt. Then it usually takes a couple years to figure out the best stand locations, wind directions, etc.
I own a couple farms and lease some ground in southern IL and have hunted the area for over 25 years. There is pretty good deer hunting in my backyard and home state of IN but I've found the top end quality of bucks to be a bit better in IL, probably largely due to the way they structure firearms hunting -vs- IN. IN is a one buck state, so it's nice to hunt a neighboring state and be able to pick up another. I jump back and forth all season.

Best advice I could give you is to spend as much time on stand as possible from Halloween thru Thanksgiving.
Good luck and ask away if you have anything specific.
Thank you very much! I will be hunting public ground but I am retired so I can lay with them if I choose to do so! I am very much looking forward to the challenge. I am very much trying to keep my expectations in check…..

You can have encounters with and even kill some good bucks on public in IL. Key is figuring out how to get away from pressure and then spending a lot of time on stand.

Good to know! Can you park on the side of the road? Or do you have to park in designated parking lots?
I am researching map apps and trying to figure out a unique strategy. My mind is literally going in 10 different directions right now!

Most all IL DNR owned properties require you to park at designated. Not sure how enforced it is though. Not sure about NF or Army Corps land down southern IL way. Figuring out hunting rules and regs on public in IL is confusing.

I get Casey's breakfast pizza slices all the time. Usually stop in jerseyville on my way to my cabin to fill up with fuel get something to eat. I tried the breakfast burrito last time. Meh. Back to the breakfast pizza. Their pepperoni pizza is really good but they are pretty pricey around $16 for a large last I recall. on a side note, their coffee is way to hot. normally have to add ice to mine just so I can sip it.

Most all IL DNR owned properties require you to park at designated. Not sure how enforced it is though. Not sure about NF or Army Corps land down southern IL way. Figuring out hunting rules and regs on public in IL is confusing.
Yes it’s confusing! Makes it harder to get away from it other people if you share the same parking. I have to figure out the windshield tag as well.

I get Casey's breakfast pizza slices all the time. Usually stop in jerseyville on my way to my cabin to fill up with fuel get something to eat. I tried the breakfast burrito last time. Meh. Back to the breakfast pizza. Their pepperoni pizza is really good but they are pretty pricey around $16 for a large last I recall. on a side note, their coffee is way to hot. normally have to add ice to mine just so I can sip it.
I stopped at a Casey’s last year in Missouri and the coffee was really hot! Couldn’t get brave enough to try the breakfast food.
I had visions of the consequences and none were good!👍

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back