Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

if you had $700 to spend?

Ridgerider

Got a budget of $700 for a new purchase. Should I buy a Leupold GR 15-30 50mm $584, 1.34lbs, the Vortex Razor HD 11-33x x50mm $699 1.56lbs, or should I consider going to a bino set up. Currently have entry level Vortex 10x42 binos, and no spotting scope. Main objective is to spot and stock animals from 1-3 miles away. If you had $700 and only a basic 10x42 bino set up would you buy a compact spotting scope or a set of 12x 15x, binos for glassing? Appreciate the input.

Last edited:
I have found 9 bears this season using Swaro 15s compared to my son’s 2 using Swaro 65s. My son is a great glasses. I think the difference is 15s vs spotter. I might switch with him to see if the advantage disappears.

I have a 20-60 spotter, 11-33 spotter and couple pair of good binos but nothing more than 10x. I find myself using binos and that little 11-33 majority of time due to ease, weight and FOV. My next optic will be a pair of 18x vortex uhd binos, mounted on my big tripod i think thats my answer. Little tip for you guys new at using spotter, buy a eye patch at local drug store for couple bucks and place it over odd eye, saves so much strain.

Heck of a first post, so welcome aboard!

I would definitely save up for good bino's as they are essential and a spotter is a first wave luxury. Maybe look at 12s or 15s if you want to save weight.

I have 12x50s and I'll suffer for the additional weight! I just now bought a nice spotter. Furthering my point of be able to hunt without a spotter. You could get a tripod and an adapter for your bino's. Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
This really is a matter of personal preference. None of the suggestions are wrong and none are more correct than the others. What matters is how you like to do things. I like to have a spotter when I am looking at slopes and meadows from anything more than a quarter mile, usually to decide whether or not to hunt that area. I like to use binos when I need a good look at something before I shoot. One thing though, whichever you choose in optics you get what you pay for pretty much. I don't buy super high end but I don't buy super cheap ones. I buy on performance and durability.

I have 10x 42 sawo Bono’s and the vortex 10/33/50 spotter. My thoughts are what are you going to use more is what you should buy. With that thought maven sells great glass for less than $600 if you have say 10 x42’s and want to do a setup with a bingo on a tripod.

I've known a couple of vortex owners locally that've had their adjustments lock up on their spotter.
You can do a lot with 10x and 12x knockers, but a spotter is definitely nice to have. It does get cut for weight fairly often though.

Find a used pair of the Vortex Viper HD 15x50's. I think they're discontinued, they can be hard to find.

Cheap and lightweight, 28 ounces. Get a decent tripod. They are not alpha glass but they
are awesome for what they are and a great setup for elk. If it's a big giant buck you'll be able to tell without a spotter.

Then, start saving every penny until you can afford a top end spotter and top end carry binos. You don't want to get caught
up in the upgrade process buying mid-grade glass (like I foolishly did) and wasting money. Because in the end, most want to
end up with alpha glass (Zeiss, Swaro, Razor HD, etc).

For $700 You can get some descent 15's put em on a tripod and don't worry about a Spotter till You can afford the best. Spotters in the $500 to 2000 $ range are junk and worthless . I have been using $800 15s for over 25 years. Tried all the junk spotters .All of them are blurry at long range. I have never owned a top $ one but generally a Buddy has one. Unless You are in the 5% of true Trophy hunters who like to Judge animals to the inch, You don't need a Spotter. !5's will do the job, But on a tripod. Here In Arizona we glass as far as anywhere and any body. Probably more 15's used in this State than anywhere , because of the Coues........GOOD LUCK..........BOB

For $700 You can get some descent 15's put em on a tripod and don't worry about a Spotter till You can afford the best. Spotters in the $500 to 2000 $ range are junk and worthless . I have been using $800 15s for over 25 years. Tried all the junk spotters .All of them are blurry at long range. I have never owned a top $ one but generally a Buddy has one. Unless You are in the 5% of true Trophy hunters who like to Judge animals to the inch, You don't need a Spotter. !5's will do the job, But on a tripod. Here In Arizona we glass as far as anywhere and any body. Probably more 15's used in this State than anywhere , because of the Coues........GOOD LUCK..........BOB

I'll agree with most with a caveat. I've rented and borrowed spotters and the best binos you can afford should be first investment. I have 12 x 50 entry vortex and wish I bought 10's. Even with a tripod, quality isn't great. I would go best 10x42's I could get to save weight. Where I do see need for spotter is a niche hunt, coues deer. Those little suckers can hide in the grass even if they are 300 yards away or less. A spotter helps a lot. For elk, I guess it depends on the terrain you hunt if you need a spotter. Weight is huge in mountains, especially if a backpack trip.

I’d be cruising the used market for a leupold gold ring 12-40x60 HD spotting scope

I have a 15-30x50mm Leupold Gold Ring compact spotting scope and I sure like it. Very happy with it. On my grizzly bear hunt my guide had a great pair of full size Zeiss binoculars and and a small Vortex spotting scope. I had my Leica Ultravid 10x25 compact binoculars. I picked up animals with my compact Leica's as far away as he was with his full size Zeiss. At one point we had some caribou that spooked and took off running that were about 5 miles away from us. We both could see them through our respective binoculars and we both could see what made them spook all of a sudden. Another grizzly bear was cruising along feeding. Didn't seem to interested in the caribou.

I like using my 15x Leopold binos for most of my long/medium range scouting/hunting as was said so much easier on the eyes but I carry my 10x42 when hiking/stalking to save weight.

I ended up finding a new pair of Leupold BX-5 HD Santium 15x56mm binos for a great price on EuroOptics ($799) so I bumped up the budget a $100. The price seems way under priced, so I called Leupold and asked about EuroOptic in PA. The customer service rep and BBB said they are reputable. I'll see how it goes with the 15x binos in mule deer country! Any advise for inspecting shipped binos and ensuring there are no issues with the glass and distortion? Thanks for all the input!

Leupolds are generally good product no matter who you buy them from. Only recommendation I would do is a function test, adjust the diopter lens to your eyesight and do a function test on the rest. There should be no fogging of the lens. Other than that you can probably go on Leupold's reputation as a quality manufacturer. Biggest issue I have with binos is some of them are far too heavy and if you are already packing 60 pounds on your back, the additional weight on your chest don't help. I have a Vortex Viper HD myself and like it other than I wished it were lighter.

whatever you do just follow rokslide classifieds and ebay for a couple weeks. You'll both get a good feel for the going rates and will likely find a screaming good deal or two.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back