If you could get any Savage rifle

gutshootem

So I have an opportunity to pick up any savage rifle/shotgun I want for cheap. Problem is, I can't really decide what I want or need. I hunt MD, PA, & OH every year for deer. I've been to WY and a few midwest states for deer and antelope and will hopefully be making my way to Idaho for elk/deer this fall. I've been building points in WY, CO, & SD as well so I hope to hunt the west more frequently in the future.

So here's what I have already:
Rem 700BDL in 7mm mag
Savage stainless lightweight hunter 7mm-08
Marlin 1895 in 45-70
Ruger American in 30-06, .308 & .243
Weatherby Vanguard in 300 win mag
Marlin .22mag and .17hmr
Savage bmag in .17 wsm
Ruger 10/22
M&P 15T
Savage 220 slug gun.

Am I missing anything besides a dedicated varmint gun? I don't hunt/shoot varmints but I guess someday I might. I don't even have a local range over 100yds but a .204 ruger or 22-250 sounds interesting.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
If you've got a wife that likes to shoot, the Lady Hunter is a nice rifle. The 338 Lapua is fun to shoot at long range targets, but it sounds like that might not be very doable where you're at. The 12 BTCSS in either 204 or 22-250, because you mentioned those two calibers.

Your list of calibers looks just like mine. I decided on 6.5 Creedmoor as my next. I have a 204 and 223...just got rid of of a 22-250. I like the 204 and turns gophers into vapor when they are hit...the 223 is a great cheap round and will do a number on a lot of smaller animals. If you go with a 22-250 get one with a fast twist rifling so you can shoot heavier bullets. Most have a slow twist that isn't worth a hoot for anything over 62 grains.

A 338 would be fun for messing around but you'll have to reload so you don't go broke shooting it. Also it doesn't gain you much if you can only shoot a couple hundred yards

I have a Savage 116 weather warrior in 6.5x284 and love it. The more I shoot this rifle and this caliber the more I like it. I would highly recommend this setup for anyone.

Your list of calibers looks just like mine. I decided on 6.5 Creedmoor as my next. I have a 204 and 223...just got rid of of a 22-250. I like the 204 and turns gophers into vapor when they are hit...the 223 is a great cheap round and will do a number on a lot of smaller animals. If you go with a 22-250 get one with a fast twist rifling so you can shoot heavier bullets. Most have a slow twist that isn't worth a hoot for anything over 62 grains.

A 338 would be fun for messing around but you'll have to reload so you don't go broke shooting it. Also it doesn't gain you much if you can only shoot a couple hundred yards

Thanks for the info. I'll take anot her look at the .204. I have a bunch of lowers that I need to get around to building so I have .223 covered.

You seem to have alot of the .30 family.
With your discount I had 2 ideas.
I see you have (1) black rifle (S&W M&P 15) .everybody should have at least (1) AR platform
To that end I like the Savage MSR-10 which is .308 or 6.5 Creed and lists at $1400
-or
The only shotgun you listed is the 220 slug.
The Stevens over under or one of their Auto Loaders would serve you well on the clays course (loads of fun) and you are getting the big deal discount anyway.

Not really interested in any dangerous game guns at this point in time.

I did take a quick look at the MSR-10 but I think I'm going to end up getting a Mega Maten set and build my own AR10 the way I want it.

Didn't really give the shotguns much of a look. I'll have to go back through then again. I have an old mossy 500, but find myself spending all of my limited free time these days chasing bigger critters so not sure a scatter gun would get much use.

Last edited:
I love my Savage 22-250 with accu trigger and bull barrel. Very accurate to 300 yards even with Simmons scope it came with from the store. Will take it coyote hunting this weekend. Got a smokin deal on it and 600 rounds of hollow points.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back