Yeti GOBOX Collection

If you can’t call em crawl em!

jvanhoy

Had to change up tactics a little this morning. I’ve had this bird strutting at 80-100 yards 2 different times this year and couldn’t close the deal. He usually heads up to the top side of field and of course I’m always at the bottom. So this morning I got in super early and set up near the top side. Of course he flies down with a hen and 2 other gobblers near the bottom side. I watched him breed her and strutt for 15 minutes or so then they started easing off the other way. Luckily the field rolled off and I couldn’t see them anymore. I decided I would go kill him or spook him one. Didn’t really care at this point. I crossed the field and made it to where it rolls off and belly crawled the next 20 yards until I could see the top of his fan. I look over and the hen is 40 yards to my left and hadn’t seen me somehow. If this would have been two weeks ago and the grass hadn’t got up some this probably wouldn’t have worked. I laid there about 10 minutes and he finally gave me a shot at about 45 yards. Not the normal gobble filled adrenaline rush hunt but I was happy to get it done.
AF1F1D00-83D8-4375-8EF1-457C195E59FD.jpeg23A70FFD-8F31-4421-BEC8-AC102384531E.jpeg
1B053499-BA9B-4194-8E50-2467E9E66137.jpeg

Nice way to adapt. The purists will shake their heads, me being the opportunist I say good thinking. I've sat enough hours next to a tree over the years that I now adapt like you did and get it done.

Screw the "purists." I'll take spot and stalk any day over sit and wait. I shot some dandy bull elk and never owned a bugle. Three bull moose racks on the wall and wouldn't know the first thing about calling one. No interest in that. Similarly, if there was any good jump shooting for waterfowl here my decoys would be at the Goodwill donation box. Pursuit is real hunting. Tricking game with bait, decoys, calls, etc is something else.

Congrats.
Stalking turkeys is fun too. Time is always a factor with my hunts so at some point if the birds are being difficult I'll shift to plan B. Driving 5-6 hours to hunt means fill the tag.

Nice work!

I'd have done the same thing.

I love calling them in but I love hunting and eating them more so I do whatever it takes to kill one.

Nice bird but that's a great way to get accidentally shot.

Never assume you are alone. Even if its your own land. And yes, its a long story....

I'm a pretty 'purist' turkey hunter but with the ridiculousness out there these days I can live with anybody who didn't fan the bird or use a strutter decoy.

Congrats on a nice gobbler. Gotta love a set of hooks like that.

Nice bird but that's a great way to get accidentally shot.

Never assume you are alone. Even if its your own land. And yes, its a long story....
Gee, seems to me it's more dangerous to sit with a call than sneak around after a turkey. Which sound is more likely to get shot at?

This was Friday morning, area #2 in Wyoming. One draw and one otc, public land. Smoke them with butter and a Bush can inside.20220430_131147.jpg20220430_185540.jpg

Attachments

• 20220430_091426.jpg
    20220430_091426.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 7
Back