Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Idaho's new deer Regs

Tone, "If the real reason to do this is based on the biology of seperate managment for muleys and whitetails why is the clearwater region still singled out?."

The real reason still has nothing to do with biology or good management. It's still political games to try to pacify the local crybabies in the Clearwater Region.

Have you ever thought about what a mess it would be if the locals in every F&G region started having the same attitude about Idahoans from other parts of the state coming to their region to hunt and fish?

The root of the whole problem is that we now have a different F&G Commisioner for each region. We used to have only five and the areas they represented overlapped different regions, so we didn't have this mentality about "I'm representing my region".

The seven member commission was created by Phil Batt and the anti-F&G legislature to try to get more control over the F&G Dept.

New regs should be out in April or early may I would guess. Controlled permit aps are due on May 31 most years.

Is there somewhere on the site (IDFG) that I can find info, seasons and such on this new rule? I'm just curious, cause my dad hunts/guides in the CW each year and I haven't hunted with him because I dont want to be limited to the CW. Just need to get it all clear.

Thanks

HSeeker- This is about all I could find fro the IDFG site:

Clearwater Deer Tag
Declines in mule deer populations in southern Idaho led to conservative hunting seasons in that part of the state beginning 1993. In contrast, expanding white-tailed deer populations in northern Idaho resulted in long seasons for either sex deer during the rut period.
This difference led to a shift of southern Idaho mule deer hunters to northern Idaho at the conclusion of their mule deer hunt. Trespass complaints on private property increased to unacceptable levels in the Clearwater Region.

The Clearwater Deer Tag was implemented in 1998, forcing hunters to choose between hunting mule deer in southern Idaho early or whitetails and
mule deer in the Clearwater Region. Since 1998, there has been a substantial reduction of trespass complaints. Some Idaho deer hunters have indicated their desire to have the Department resolve this issue without the complication of the Clearwater Deer Tag.

Strategies
Beginning 2005, restrictions on the Regular Deer Tag will be relaxed, allowing it to again be used in the Clearwater Region through November 3.
In lieu of a Clearwater Deer Tag, the Department will issue a White-tailed Deer Tag, valid for white-tailed deer only, in all units of the state where whitetails may be hunted. This arrangement provides more flexibility for Idaho hunters while maintaining protection against trespass problems in the Clearwater Region.

Data needs
Meaningful management information pertaining to white-tailed deer is difficult to collect. The secretive nature of white-tailed deer and the habitats they occupy severely limit our ability to estimate population size and composition. Aerial surveys and other traditional approaches such as spotlight surveys and pellet transects provide inaccurate and imprecise indices.
Therefore, development of a technique to accurately and precisely estimate population size and composition would permit considerable refinement of whitetail management in Idaho. Harvest data have been difficult to interpret because white-tailed data and mule deer data are combined as “deer” data.

"the Department will issue a White-tailed Deer Tag, valid for white-tailed deer only, in all units of the state where whitetails may be hunted."

HUH? OK, so are we talking you pretty much have to choose whitey or mulie? THere are huntable whitetail numbers in almost all the north half of the state! That is going to piss a lot of people off if they aren't going to be able to hunt both species now.

Wow.

The way I understand it. Here, hunters that choose the "regular" deer tag will be able to hunt muleys & whitetail in oct & whitetail in nov., and those that pick the whitetail tag will only get to hunt whitetails during the same time. I have no idea how the rest of the state is looking at the tags.

Why should someone be pissed of for seperating Whitetails and Muledeer... No one complains that they seperated Deer and Elk. No one complains there is a goose and Duck season.....

I'm having a hard time following you Idaho guy's and your Civil War reanactment. Can someone answer my question? If I want to hunt mulies in unit 17, will this tag sell out, and if so about when would it sell out? Thanks.

Ten bears you are wrong, general tag would end around approx. Nov.3 Whitetail tag would extend onto the end of Nov. first to dec depending where your at. With the general tag you would miss hunting whitetails during the peak of the rut, with the whitetail tag you would be able too.

GATOMAN, I said HERE, I live in the panhandle, and that is what we were told (got a hand out here somewhere) at the last breakfast. If you care to come by and ask, they're having another sportsmans breakfast tomorrow in Enaville, 7 a.m..

So Ithaca, was this truely a "tresspass" issue like IDFG states or is that just a smokescreen and its actually a boohooing over hunter numbers in general in that area?

One of the guys I coach with hunts the Clearwater every year and doesn't seen to have a problem with too many people or in taking decent bucks. Then again, he's not the roadhunting type either. Just like every other NIMBY problem, folks want the revenues without the impacts IMHO...

I went to the breakfast on Saturday, and it looks like deer season in the panhandle will run from 10/10 - 12/1 in all units with a muzzleloader season still in units 4 & 7from 11/10 -12/1.

Marv, Strictly political pressure from the locals. When this whole protest movement started by the local crybabies and they claimed there was lots of tresspassing going on we asked for the local sheriff's records showing how many calls had been made to the sheriff's dept. with tresspassing complaints during the last deer season. That year there were a total of 28 calls during the whole deer season in the whole region. Sounds like it was a pretty minor problem. The tresspassing citations that were handed out went mostly to locals.

10 Bears this thread has nothing to do with your "here" it has to do with the clearwater area and the changes to the "Clearwater Tag". How the hell was I suppose to know where "here" is, but now I know. I could give a rats ass where your from, stick to the subject of the thread. Your plug to the thread has no more meaning then someone in nebraska telling me there deer season dates.

GATO, your concept of IDAHO is pretty small if you think the clearwater region is IDAHO. If you want to debate the past, present, or future of deer hunting in the clearwater. Why don't you start a thread about "Clearwaters new deer Regs" instead of claiming that one titled "Idaho's new deer Regs" has nothing to do with the majority of IDAHO? BTW, what I have posted here has everything to do with the NEW regs. Can you show what the clearwater region is even going to have for a deer season yet? You may find it hard to believe GATO, but the clearwater doesn't drive hunting in the state.

I figured you would fire back with that crap 10 Bears.....Read the first thread and what the author of the thread is wanting to know.........no where in his thread he wants any info of the panhandle region your the only one spewwing your panhandle garbage if you follow the posts, I know where the clearwater region is amigo. What do you mean can I show what the clearwaters deer tag is going to be this yr....its posted all over this thread incase you can't read. Thats obvious though. You spend to much time in the SI thread bickering with Ithaca and the others, you have a selective reading problem. You will argue something to the point you know your wrong but won't back down which makes posting anything to you useless so I won't indulge in your game. So post away amigo.

TheTone said:
To some extent yes, the general tag ends your whitetail and muley season up here on November 3rd, later in some backcountry units. But then whitetail season continues to run until december 1 in the clearwater if you have a whitetail tag. Basically a general tag gets you a muley and whitetail archery hunt in september, whitetails and muleys with a gun through october and early november and thats its. A whitetail tag gets you whitetail only archery, and then a whitetail rifle season from October 10 through December 1, but only in the clearwater.
GATO, yours is the kind of garbage that I try to avoid the most. If you're refering to this statement posted by THE TONE, it is incorrect. The whitetail tag is good for any whitetail season in the state, and not just for the clearwater. The clearwater tag is dead and gone, get over it. The point I was trying to make was that the whitetail deer tag seasons were the same between both regions, but the regular deer tag gave more season length in the panhandle. I would also like to find out how seasons are being decided in the rest of the state (aren't there 5 more regions?). That would be IDAHO. You just keep thinking that the clearwater drives the hunting in the state though.

Back