PEAX Equipment

Idaho Weiser River Elk Hunting Questions

I wish there was an open season on SxS and Raxors. They would all be better with a few hundred grains of lead in their engines.
Make a game out of it. If there’s an unattended SxS on public land, off trail it’s up for grabs. See how willing they are to go bashing around then.

Didn’t kill an elk, but got me a pretty new Polaris ranger!

It’s a problem older than sxs’s. Just spent the better part of a week hunting with a guy that used to enforce some of that stuff. We started talking about ohv use and he shook his head an laughed. Apparently around a decade ago he picked a ~2000 acre section of one of the most abused areas in 22 and made it personal mission to focus on and patrol it for a few years to no effect. Said it didn’t even make a dent.

I think 32 and 32A are worse…

Unfortunately that has become a bigger issue around many parts of the state. I, personally, bow hunt in a non-motorized unit but still run into the same problems. People constantly blazing through with their big toys and it pressures the elk in that area to be completely silent and/or vacate the area entirely. I did get one good laugh once though. These two guys came speeding up the trail in their UTV and we sat 5 feet off the trail and they never saw us. We waited for them to climb the first ridge where I had bugled from earlier that morning (about a 45 minute climb up). As soon as they reached the top, I torched off a big bugle in the bottom and they came running down back to the trail. Once they got to the bottom, we popped out on the road and started walking. Those guys, for 3 days, ruined my morning hunt on a bull so it felt good to get a little bit of payback in a humorous sense.

I hunted there last year. Got near some elk and didn't have many SxS to contend with because I was deep in the trees. I could hear them running back and forth on the road a half mile away. I won't be back because it's a total zoo.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back