Idaho Unit 8A Moose!!!

outdoorexpert2

Just found out my wife drew Idaho unit 8a bull moose tag. We are both super stoked. Currently live in SE Idaho where I bagged my moose a few years ago. Moving up to Moscow for the next few years and excited to be hunting the Palouse. Know we have got some great country to get out and scout. I know quite a few people hunt that unit for elk. If any one has any tips or suggestions we would love to hear them. Also would love to see any pictures anyone has of moose in or around that area! Ill make sure to make updates on our hunt to keep you guys informed. Thanks in advance!

I’ve seen bull moose in 8a.

Attachments

• D57C8868-56B8-441F-A4D7-77638E50FE7B.jpeg
    D57C8868-56B8-441F-A4D7-77638E50FE7B.jpeg
    668.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 6EA73EAE-6A7C-4271-BF18-92225DCB80DA.jpeg
    6EA73EAE-6A7C-4271-BF18-92225DCB80DA.jpeg
    703.3 KB · Views: 104
She got my tag!

Seriously though, Congratulations. Moose are where you find them in 8A. There is a lot of PotlatchDeltic owned ground which is open to hunt walk in, but you need a permit for ATV trail use and overnight camping. You can get the permit and print it from their web site. If I remember right it's 14 days in one spot on the permit and then you have to move. It's a long season so if you have the time you can be a little pickier. You can drive to or access most glassing spots with a short hike.

The last couple of years I've able to drive the arterials in the whole unit well into December. Having said that, snow happens.

I heard a randy bull calling every night while camped on the upper Palouse River last season.

I wouldn't say the tag is a gimme tag. But if you put in the time you will fill it. There are logging operations going on west of highway 6 North of Harvard.

DM me and I'll give you the local IDFG Conservation Officer's name. You can reach him through the Lewiston office. He's great to answer questions.

Thanks for all the input! We have been putting in the miles trying to get familiar with the unit. Sure is a big chunk of hunt-able land. Seen a ton of wildlife and a few cow moose but no bulls yet. Looking forward to the season opening up shortly. Ill keep yall posted on how we do.

Just found out my wife drew Idaho unit 8a bull moose tag. We are both super stoked. Currently live in SE Idaho where I bagged my moose a few years ago. Moving up to Moscow for the next few years and excited to be hunting the Palouse. Know we have got some great country to get out and scout. I know quite a few people hunt that unit for elk. If any one has any tips or suggestions we would love to hear them. Also would love to see any pictures anyone has of moose in or around that area! Ill make sure to make updates on our hunt to keep you guys informed. Thanks in advance!
PM inbound from a Moscow resident

Any luck last year?

Pretty consistent trend people asking for advice about an area or unit and then they don’t bother to update how their hunt went.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back