Idaho unit 76 mule deer

pcox77

Planning on rifle hunting unit 76 mule deer in Idaho this October with a buddy of mine. I live in Kansas and have been hunting whitetail out here for about 8 years, looking for a few tips for a first time western hunt, not any spots or anything specific, just some gear recommendations, and any other miscellaneous tips. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'd be more than willing to share my knowledge of deer and upland hunting in western Kansas as well!

This May come as a surprise. Reconsider your choice of location. This unit completely sucks!! Sorry you guys from Idaho but you know it's true.

Last year we hunted this unit with eight tags/ hunters. If you want an accurate account of our hunt search MonsterMuleys forums for "SE hunt" thread. We were after mature bucks and we only saw one and we hunted seven days. The hunter who saw the buck is a biologist and decided to let it live because there were so few bucks.

When we were making our plans to go to SE Idaho a guy gave me the same advice I'm giving you. The previous year they had hunted SE Idaho with ten hunters and filled zero tags. I ignored the advice and regretted it.

Tons of does. Idaho said it was a 12% buck to doe ratio. The biologist from Montana estimated the buck to doe ratio was more like 5%. This is a terrible hunt and I feel like Idaho knows but seeks to sell out of state tags for revenue anyway.

Do yourself a favor and hunt someplace else or stay home. Unit 76 is a disaster.

Last edited:
You will have your work cut out for you but it’s doable. 76 is one of the more popular units in the state.

Attachments

• D8B1C355-F805-40E5-9F53-3097603C8920.png
    D8B1C355-F805-40E5-9F53-3097603C8920.png
    367.3 KB · Views: 30
I was in this unit last year for two days during the rifle deer hunt in October. Was very surprised at the deer hunting pressure. Said pressure and guys not following the OHV regs really messed things up. I didn't see a single buck but was looking since my buddy was with and he would've bought a tag if we had.

Welcome to the forum. You had better start researching this curve is pretty steep but it is fun.
Thank you! It definitely seems daunting, but i'm excited to get my feet in the water and start learning a new type of hunting and seeing some beautiful land.

I was in this unit last year for two days during the rifle deer hunt in October. Was very surprised at the deer hunting pressure. Said pressure and guys not following the OHV regs really messed things up. I didn't see a single buck but was looking since my buddy was with and he would've bought a tag if we had.
Thanks for the input! Im not necessarily locked in to the unit, just trying to do a little research on some units that I thought would give us enough public land access, plus the we are trying to cut down on travel time so we were thinking about sticking to the SE Idaho area. Are there any units that don't allow ATVs? We are planning on possibly backpacking in a decent way off of the roads/trails.

OTC Mule deer units with lots of roadless that I have worked or hunted - 36, 36A, 36B, 37, 37A, 29, 39, 43, 48, 49, 50, 51, 58, 21, 28. I posted under the looking for hunting partner section. Trail M/C and some hiking put you in areas that get very lite pressure. Can never say no pressure.

Last edited:
OTC Mule deer units with lots of roadless that I have worked or hunted - 36, 36A, 36B, 37, 37A, 29, 39, 43, 48, 49, 50, 51, 58, 21, 28. I posted under the looking for hunting partner section. Trail M/C and some hiking put you in areas that get very lite pressure. Can never say no pressure.
Appreciate the input, i'll start doing some online scouting. Could very well be worth a few extra hours of driving to get away from the pressure.

Appreciate the input, i'll start doing some online scouting. Could very well be worth a few extra hours of driving to get away from the pressure.
Yes, Become good friends with google earth, ONX maps. Then contact area biologists from IDF&G. I have found them to be very helpful.

Planning on rifle hunting unit 76 mule deer in Idaho this October with a buddy of mine. I live in Kansas and have been hunting whitetail out here for about 8 years, looking for a few tips for a first time western hunt, not any spots or anything specific, just some gear recommendations, and any other miscellaneous tips. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'd be more than willing to share my knowledge of deer and upland hunting in western Kansas as well!
Did you ever hunt Unit 76? I have a general mulley tag for 2021 for that unit and was curious how your experience was. Any advice or tips?

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back