Yeti GOBOX Collection

Idaho Unit 73A Mule Deer

AZbull

So I apologize. I posted yesterday reference unit 55. I made the mistake of purchasing this OTC tag thinking it was rifle deer but it is Archery only. Fish and Game was great and will allow me to trade it in for a unit 73A tag. Kind of throws me for a loop as I knew a little about 55 and nothing for 73A. Regardless I will scout it several times. Has anyone hunted the 73A unit? Im not a road hunter but curious how roads are in the unit for a truck getting into the mountain range there. And also is there a better part of the unit for a camp trailer etc? I appreciate any help and likewise if anyone is willing to share any advice of the unit I have good knowledge of Utah and Arizona. Thank you all much!

So I apologize. I posted yesterday reference unit 55. I made the mistake of purchasing this OTC tag thinking it was rifle deer but it is Archery only. Fish and Game was great and will allow me to trade it in for a unit 73A tag. Kind of throws me for a loop as I knew a little about 55 and nothing for 73A. Regardless I will scout it several times. Has anyone hunted the 73A unit? Im not a road hunter but curious how roads are in the unit for a truck getting into the mountain range there. And also is there a better part of the unit for a camp trailer etc? I appreciate any help and likewise if anyone is willing to share any advice of the unit I have good knowledge of Utah and Arizona. Thank you all much!
I hunt one of the neighboring units every year, but I have never hunted 73A, so I can't give you much on the specifics you've asked about, but I do know that there have been some really nice bucks taken out of there the last couple of years.

I hunt one of the neighboring units every year, but I have never hunted 73A, so I can't give you much on the specifics you've asked about, but I do know that there have been some really nice bucks taken out of there the last couple of years.
Thank you very much sir. Do you know for the most part if the roads are in decent shape in those areas. I typically just use my truck and stay away from having to buy the quads and utvs etc. Thank you

I live outside of American Falls and have ventured into this unit a few times here and there (mainly hunt another unit, but expanding my range). One thing I know is that there are some good roads that will take you a wayyys in...but I watched from the other side of he valley how they became highways about an hour before daylight. Also, 73A is included in the motor vehicle restrictions. That being said, I have seen some big bucks come out of there if you can beat the crowds. I may venture further south in the unit to see if I can avoid the crowds if I hunt there this year!

I live outside of American Falls and have ventured into this unit a few times here and there (mainly hunt another unit, but expanding my range). One thing I know is that there are some good roads that will take you a wayyys in...but I watched from the other side of he valley how they became highways about an hour before daylight. Also, 73A is included in the motor vehicle restrictions. That being said, I have seen some big bucks come out of there if you can beat the crowds. I may venture further south in the unit to see if I can avoid the crowds if I hunt there this year!
Thank you I appreciate the information sir. Im excited to get up learning the area this summer. Moving to Utah from AZ I've actually been a little turned off with areas i have hunted. However all the general hunts have become crowded with tons of roads. This unit looks like you can somewhat hike away from people I hope.

You can, and it can get steep fast. There's a lot of private around too and some horsemen hunting, but it seemed like if you can get off the road a ways you wouldn't be into too many people. Some of the motor vehicle trails shown on OnX are big and decent enough for pickups.

You can, and it can get steep fast. There's a lot of private around too and some horsemen hunting, but it seemed like if you can get off the road a ways you wouldn't be into too many people. Some of the motor vehicle trails shown on OnX are big and decent enough for pickups.
Thanks a bunch!

I hunt it every year. Actually had the late Muzzleloader tag this past year. It’s getting hard. The numbers of deer and especially bucks are down. The locals know where the bucks are and will be on them on opener. Most deer seem to stay down low on private. PM me.

I hunt it every year. Actually had the late Muzzleloader tag this past year. It’s getting hard. The numbers of deer and especially bucks are down. The locals know where the bucks are and will be on them on opener. Most deer seem to stay down low on private. PM me.
Thank you sir. I pm'd you

Do you think the lower numbers are a part of the winters and high harvest still? I drew the late muzzleloader in 74 and it was rough this year too.

I was born in Pocatello and my grandparents lived in American Falls and farmed in Rockland. I moved away when I was young but have hunted the Deep Creeks a couple times. It can definitely get busy fast. But both times I found bucks and even some good ones without much scouting.

However things change quickly when the lead starts flying. I never had anything but a pickup to hunt from. I just parked and walked. The roads were good enough to get me to some nice jumping off points. Seemed like a very average general unit when I was there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back