Idaho Unit 67

Snowbuster101

I have read several threads on this unit, but most of them are several years old. I have OTC rifle Deer and Elk tags in this unit. From what I have researched there might be more hunters than deer, but I’m going to give it a go anyway. I do have horses so getting back off the road is not the challenge. I’ve been told this area doesn’t have the wolf/grizzly problem like the Grovont area I hunt on the Wyoming side. Any truth to this?
My dad is going out there next week to look around, probably check out the Elk Creek area. Any thoughts would help?

I've seen some big deer and elk come out of that area... I've also seen a lot of people. Most of the time I'm up there is in the winter when all the animals come down to the valley. Judging by what I've seen every year, theres a lot of big deer that know how to hide during the season. I've never hunted it personally but know a lot of people who have. I think your on the right track with horses. Get back in and get off the trail. Don't be afraid to cover ground and glass up there. If you're not seeing much, move. If it where me I'd keep overlooked areas in mind as well as what I feel are perfect areas. If you see a little pocket of trees that might hold deer that's out of the way that nobody would give 10 minutes on hunting, go look. Those deer don't get big by being stupid. Both of these photos where taken from the cab a month after season closed. While your up there keep an eye out for bighorn sheep. IDFG has been trying to confirm their presence there for years. I've seen tracks but never sheep. If you see one take a picture and report it please. I've herd of grizzly being seen. Never herd of an issue with them. Elk are sparse but there. Good luck.

Attachments

• 20180118_173210.jpg
    20180118_173210.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 60
  • 20180118_170730.jpg
    20180118_170730.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 57
That’s guys. We are extremely excited and looking forward to the challenge! My dad is headed out there this week to fish and do some scouting, so that will help give us a feel for that layout of the land. He is also going to be there a week before the season starts.

I'll be heading out there in October with an OTC deer tag as well! Best of luck! Did your dad see much while scouting?

I didn’t realize how old this post was. I wish I was more active last year. I know that area very well and there are plenty of deer and elk in that unit especially if you like backpacking. Beautiful country.

I didn’t realize how old this post was. I wish I was more active last year. I know that area very well and there are plenty of deer and elk in that unit especially if you like backpacking. Beautiful country.
Do you happen to have any photos of the area. Looking at hunting Idaho archery elk this year with my dad and Google earth only can show do much. Not being able to go Idaho due to this virus stay at home order is really hurting mg plans of scouting. Any hints on where to start looking?

Do you happen to have any photos of the area. Looking at hunting Idaho archery elk this year with my dad and Google earth only can show do much. Not being able to go Idaho due to this virus stay at home order is really hurting mg plans of scouting. Any hints on where to start looking?

The area I would hunt is most likely still snowed in. Check out Burnt Canyon, North Fork of Rainey Creek, and Mike Harris Creek. The key to this unit is pockets that don't have trails.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back