Idaho Unit 54 rut hunt

MTlionchaser

So I messed up on the deer draws for the wife and put in for the wrong unit. It still seems like she drew a good unit. Anybody have any info they would like to share about this unit or even pics of deer for this unit? I will be heading down and scouting. Just wanted a little bit of insight if anyone cares to share. Thanks

I know some old timers that would give their left... for that tag. Never hunted it, worked forest surveys one summer there and saw big bucks everywhere. Should be a good hunt, lots of access.

Been hearing a few stories like this...always a spouse or child and always a really low odds tag. With the confirmation screen prior to app payment its surprising how many folks must be rushing thru without reading...but it seems to be ending up well for most! Good luck on the hunt.

On another note, I will be heading down next week to scout out the unit. I may have accidentally did the wrong unit but I will definitely make the most out of the tag. We will most likely have 2 scouting trips before season and will spend the whole Season down there.

Congratulations on drawing a great tag. I live 10 minutes from unit 54 and it is a great unit that holds lots of deer with some great size potential. We had a mild winter and strong feed this spring, it should be a good season. Let me know if I can help you and your wife on this hunt!

Congratulations on drawing a great tag. I live 10 minutes from unit 54 and it is a great unit that holds lots of deer with some great size potential. We had a mild winter and strong feed this spring, it should be a good season. Let me know if I can help you and your wife on this hunt!
Thanks so much!!

The hard horned 3 point I shot in CO a few days later. 54 was a fun hunt. The late season would be way better. It was tough hunting, very hot and full moon.

Thanks for the offer!! I will take all the info I can get. I will actually be in the unit on July 10th and 11th. Looking around and trying to figure out where to set camp. Any suggestions??

I know that a lot of people suggest going farther south towards the Nevada border and it is a good area, but I have been seeing some decent bucks on the northern edges this summer near rams horn ridge and cotton ridge. I think it would be worth spending some time looking in this area one morning.

There has been a lot of camping traffic and side by side traffic this summer so it will be worth the effort to get off the main trails and do some hiking. It is going to be hot 🥵 this weekend so during the day the bucks will be in the aspens and finding shade and more movement under the big moon at night. I think you will want to be set up with some glasses at or before dawn because the show might be over pretty early in the day.

I know that a lot of people suggest going farther south towards the Nevada border and it is a good area, but I have been seeing some decent bucks on the northern edges this summer near rams horn ridge and cotton ridge. I think it would be worth spending some time looking in this area one morning.

There has been a lot of camping traffic and side by side traffic this summer so it will be worth the effort to get off the main trails and do some hiking. It is going to be hot 🥵 this weekend so during the day the bucks will be in the aspens and finding shade and more movement under the big moon at night. I think you will want to be set up with some glasses at or before dawn because the show might be over pretty early in the day.
Thanks I will check that country out Friday probably. Do you have a suggestion on somewhere to stay. Cabins or something?

I have never rented cabins up there, they have some privately owned ones that people may rent out. Your best bet for lodging is in Twin Falls (20 mins) or Jackpot (50 mins but legal gambling if you are inclined). There are lots of camping spots up in the hills and lots of “weekend warriors”.

You have a Idaho glory tag in your hands, some giants come out of 54 every year. Especially on the late hunt. Congrats and good luck!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back